17.

Michael's POV

6:23 p.m.

It was a typical Thursday. Had this been six years ago I would of been gettin ready to do some drops and be with Tina, but now my life came to going home and watchin TV. This new life had me grounded and the shit was boring, but no matter how boring it was I refused to go back to doin what I was doin before. It wasn't worth the hassle to be lookin over your shoulder every day either for the cops or people tryna out me. That life caused mad paranoia and I ain't miss it at all.

The phone rang and I picked it up. "R.D. Auto shop how can I help you?"

I heard mother's voice on the other end and I shook my head. "You sound so professional sweetheart. I'm so glad that Randolph was able to give you this job. Even if he hadn't then you know the diner was and is always open for you to come and chip in at."

After what happened when I saw Farrah I ain't never want to step foot in that diner again.

"Mother you must be calling for a reason..." It was the first time she had called since I had been workin here and I knew she wasn't calling just to say hello.

"I want you to come over for dinner tonight. It's nothing special, but I want to see you again."

She had just saw me earlier this week, so I knew it was something' more to it.

"You wanna see me for what? What you tryna plan?"

Mother always had somethin' under her sleeve.

"I am not planning anything I just want to see my son so when you get off of work then drop by the house, okay?"

Declining the invitation woulda been a battle I was going to lose so I didn't even worry about arguing with her.

"Ima be there" I replied and we exchanged goodbyes before I hung up the phone.

Dolph walked in from the back wiping his hands with a dark gray rag and I leaned forward against the counter.

"What's goin on witchu?" He cocked a brow and eyed me, and I just shrugged. "It's that girl ain't it? What was her name...?"

"Who?"

"The cop boy" Dolph replied and kissed his teeth, but I waved him off.

"You talking' bout Farrah" when I said that he nodded his hand and leaned against the front of the counter. "Ain't shit going on with that. She got a rich boyfriend."

"How you know it's her boyfriend? Did she say it was her boy?"

"Nah man but I ran into her on the fourth of July and he came out talking' about how he got them some tickets to see the ballet or something..." I shrugged and Dolph laughed.

"That don't mean that's her boy, Mike. If you trippin over that you must be really feelin this girl."

A crease formed on my face and I laughed, "nigga I ain't feelin her like that. She's... okay."

"She 'a'ight' yet yo ass was uptight as fuck when you was swimming in her last month," he joked. "I swore you mentioned her a few times every hour of the day."

"Now you buggin."

He put his hands up in defense and shrugged. "We grown ass men Mike these childish ass games gotta end eventually and yours look like it's comin to the edge and fast. Farrah a fine ass girl and just because some valley nigga bought her a ticket to see the ballet don't mean she like him and ain't feelin you."

"Will you stop actin like my damn therapist and go back to bein a mechanic, shit..." I frowned and shook my head.

Dolph just laughed at me and started wiping at his hands again.