13.

July 3, 2013

Farrah POV

7:20 a.m.

"Banks," I yawned into the phone, "damn... I'm on my way..." I dropped my phone on the bed and peeled the covers back.

It only took me thirty minutes and I was on the scene.

"I swear I just found her, I didn't do anything!" A random man pleaded with one of the uniforms. "I swear man; can I just go?"

"You can go," I interrupted, "after we get a statement so just hang tight okay?" I raised my eyebrows and tapped the guy on the shoulder before I spotted Evan and walked over to him.

"Long night?" He asked when I yawned into my arm as I reached for my gloves.

I shook my head, "not really. What do we got?"

He started to walk towards the little body that stuck out from behind the dumpster, that was currently being examined by Mila.

"What's going on Mila?" I asked and put my gloves back into my pocket.

"Young girl, I put her between the ages of five and eight, she's missing her two front teeth." She swung her hair over her shoulder as she looked up at me "I found semen in her panties Farrah," Mila whispered. "She also has bruising on her arms, thighs, and around her neck..."

"You're thinking strangulation?" Evan asked and I looked over to him.

"I can't say for sure," Mila sighed, "I'll know when I do a full autopsy, but I wouldn't doubt it."

"What's that?" I asked and pointed to the brown stain on the shirt. "Some sort of stain."

"I think it's chocolate milk, I won't know for sure until I get her to the lab.

"Okay, thanks Mila," I nodded and she smiled weakly at me. I walked away and Evan followed.

"I don't even know where we start," he sighed and shook his head, "it doesn't matter how long you do this job some of this stuff is still upsetting."

I wasn't even sure how to reply to that, because I doubted if it'd ever get easier.

12:55 p.m.

"Strangulation was the cause of death," Evan said when he walked into the precinct. "And the stain was chocolate milk," Evan pointed over to me.

"I don't understand why a young girl would be found behind a dumpster, in a vacant alley, near a mom and pop store at seven in the morning. It's the middle of the summer so there isn't school and I can't see her being at daycare and nobody watching her, I doubt the daycare would want to lose their license. I just don't know how she could get on that side of town."

"Mila said that rigor mortis had already set in," he opened the manila folder he had in his hand. "She put the time of death at somewhere between three and four this morning."

"That gives us an all new perspective now," Angel said and turned in his chair.

"Was the semen a match to anyone in the system?" I asked and Evan shook his head no. "So we're dealing with somebody who has either never done anything or just hasn't gotten caught."

The door to Captain's office opened and he walked out, "A mother just called and said that when she woke up and went to check in her daughters' room she wasn't there... It's possible that the little girl you found today is her."

"We're on it Cap," Evan said and reached for his jacket and I got up from my chair.

"Uh, Angel can you go with Evan? I have something that I need to take care of."