41.

1 chapter + epilogue left.

***

Farrah's POV

Leaving Jamaica was harder than I thought it was going to be. I'd had so much fun over the weekend that even thinking about going back to work full time made me want to cry like a toddler and throw a tantrum, kicking and screaming about how much I lacked the enthusiasm to return back to the states.

"I hope I didn't leave anything," I said to Michael about twenty minutes after takeoff and he laughed, so I nudged his side with the tip of my elbow. "What?"

"Ain't no sense in sayin' that now that we thousands of miles up in the air."

"True, but still I hope I grabbed everything. I'd hate to leave something important behind," I shrugged and sighed, lying my head back as I looked at the ceiling of the plane. My head turned lazily in Michael's direction where he'd had his eyes on me. "What are you doing when you get home?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. Why? Whatchu got in mind?"

"Nothing important. I did tell Kimmie she'd see us when we got back. I'm going to have a pretty hectic week returning to work and all, so I was thinking we could close out the day together... with the kids that is because I'm sure Deuce and Marisol will want to tag along."

"Hold on," Michael laughed, "ain't Marisol in trouble for cursing?"

"Yeah but Rena will let her come with if I ask. I think giving her a little break is a good idea. It's been some months since I've hung out with them and I'm sure some months since Rena has caught a break since the last time the kids came over to stay at my place for the weekend."

"I see the way your mom acts with your sisters kids... but she ain't close to Rena? Marisol, Deuce, and Kimmie are her grandkids so I don't see why she don't take up time with them."

"Rena and my mother have a bad history," I chuckled halfheartedly. "Their turmoil starts when Finely got Rena pregnant during our senior year of high school. My mom, at that time, thought that everyone after her kids were vouchers because my parents had money. Opportunist for lack of a better term."

"So basically Marilyn thought Rena was a golddigger."

I laughed at his simply-put answer, nodding my head. "Yes. And I don't think my mom has fully mourned my brothers death. It's one of those things that she acknowledges happened, but didn't really talk about it. Or dealt with. So maybe being around Finely's kids is too much for her? It's not an excuse for her to not see her own grandchildren, but for the longest I couldn't even go to the neighborhood where Finely lived before he died."

Michael frowned and shook his head, "but this ain't an apartment complex. These are kids who are old enough to see that their grandma doesn't want shit to do with them." His voice lowered with each word, "it's fucked up if you ask me."

"You've met my mother Michael. And though she wants everyone to think she's well put together, she's not. She's still growing as a person and right now what she thinks is right in the eyes of others it isn't. It takes baby steps with her. It took me getting hurt for her to finally loosen up about me. Rena doesn't mind and the kids don't talk about her much, so I try not to worry about it."