15.

July 4, 2013

9:45 a.m.

Farrah's POV

"Mila said that the cause of death was poisoning," I clapped my hands together and placed them under my chin as I paced back and forth in the precinct.

"Poisoning?" Laney raised her eyes as she sat back in her chair at her desk. "The girl had bruises all over her. You mean to tell me that it wasn't strangulation? Who would poison a little girl?"

"Are you seriously asking that question with the world we live in?" Angel frowned, "I don't even want to let my daughter go outside and play let alone have any more kids. Which, by the way, is a growing debate with my wife at the moment," he shook his head and I snickered.

"You can't be afraid of the world Angel, that's why you need to teach and protect your kids." I replied and shrugged my shoulders.

"So why don't you have any Farrah?" Evan cleared his throat behind me and I whipped around.

"Maybe because I'm not with anyone, Evan," I was about to add on a smart remark but Laney interjected.

"Back to the case at hand. How was she poisoned?"

"The stain on her shirt? The chocolate milk? Through that."

"Okay," Angel pushed himself back in his chair and stood up. He walked over to the board where we did a lot of our "connecting the dots" and hung up pictures of different suspects to try and narrow it down the best way we could. "So we have a seven-year-old girl, Jazmine, who was poisoned and then left in an alley near a corner store about fifteen miles from where she actually lived." He placed a red 'x' on the map; where she lived and where her body was found.

"Mom doesn't know anyone who could've actually did it. She suspects the father since they were going through a custody battle and he claimed that if he couldn't have his daughter than neither would she." Laney twirled her pen in her hand and I nodded a finger at her.

"Yeah, but," I walked over and grabbed the picture of the father taking it off the board. "Evan and I talked to him this morning and checked his alibi. It was airtight. He worked third shift and didn't get off until seven in the morning. He only had a fifteen-minute break and even then he had witnesses who said they were around him during that time. Plus, his job is twenty minutes from where Jazmine's body was found and thirty minutes from his ex-wife's home; he would've never made it on time." I crumbled his picture in my hand and tossed it in the trash.

"Did you guys question the older brother?" Evan asked and looked over at Laney.

"Yeah. He spent the night at his coach's house because they had an early practice and his coached provided him with a ride. Both the coach and his wife put the son there all night." Laney had flipped through her notes, reading off what she wrote.

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I pulled it out, "Banks."

"Hey I just tested the DNA swab from sample you got me from the father."

"Did we get a hit?"

"No," I sighed but she still sounded hopeful, "but there is a familial match."

"The son, Jazmine's brother," I sighed and shook my head, "thanks Mila."

"Wait, Farrah!" She yelled when I started to hang up. "There were two different sets of sperm in her panties. One that was the familial match to the father and another unknown one. I ran it through CODIS, but I didn't get a hit."

"Okay we got it, thanks." I hung up the phone and Evan stood up from his desk.

"What about the brother?"