Epilogue.

Akanni (Uh-Con-E).

***

Farrah's POV

3 Years Later

I walked into the precinct with my shades on and a cup of green tea in my hand despite the seventy-something degree California weather. But since I was weening myself off sugary coffee then I needed something in it's place and tea was the next best thing.

"Farrah..." Evan said slowly, coming from the captains office, obviously shocked to see me. "You're back early."

"Yes, I'm back early." I nodded, walking over to my desk, setting down the cup of tea and pulling my chair out so I could sit down. "Is that a problem?"

He stammered over his words, shaking his head." N...no, no, I'm glad you're back. Ecstatic."

"Then catch me up will you? I've been out of the loop long enough and I desperately need something to get my mind off of everything," I looked up at him and I was sure he could see the stressed lines on my face. "Please."

"But are you sure you can..."

"Evan trust me," I laughed half-heartedly and ran my fingers through my hair. "I got this."

He nodded and came over to my desk to walk me through the last few cases he'd caught during my absence. It was hard trying to solve murders when you had two rookies on the scene. After Angel's death and Laney's arrest the precinct was stretched pretty thin because of a lack of detectives to take their places.

We were short-staffed for a good year and a half until we received two new, and relatively decent, detectives. Of course I was skeptical of newcomers having been betrayed by Angel and Laney who'd I'd been working beside for years. Evan was skeptical too, but we didn't have a choice. We had to teach the newbies the ropes and hope that didn't get wrapped in everything like their predecessors had done.

Evan stayed at my desk for a good while before I finally shooed him away so he'd stop babying me and giving me looks of both disapproval and concern. But I had a father and his name was not Evan so there was no need for his constant hovering.

My phone pinged in the right side, bottom drawer of my desk a couple of hours later. Reluctantly I grabbed it to see who it was texting me and I saw Jen's name, but before I could reply she called. I rolled my eyes, wanting to decline it, but I knew she'd either keep calling or try to come and find me. Since I hadn't told her I was returning to work today.

I answered, balancing the phone between my ear and shoulder, but before I could even say hello she spoke. "You're at work aren't you?"

I reached for my water bottle, "no..."

"You are! You hesitated! Seriously?"

I kissed my teeth and rolled my eyes. "I was tired of being home alone Jen! Plus I'd taken more than enough time off since the funeral. It's been two months. The kids are settled and so am I."

"Farrah... you need time to breathe! Just because you're bored doesn't mean you should jump back into work this fast."

"Jen, it's fine," I replied sternly and rolled my eyes again.

"You went from one kid to five. You can't be fine. If Michael was here he would be telling you the same thing and you know it. You need to slow your roll and give yourself time."

"Me sitting at home sulking is not good for me or the kids. They catch on to those things. And just like the kids go to school and the babies to daycare then I need to go to work. I need a change of scenery instead of looking at the four walls of my bedroom. I'm going to say this one time and one time only and please relay it to our other two friends Carmen and Symphony, I am fine."