32.

Three Weeks Later

August 29, 2013

Michael walked up to the door of his old home and made his way inside using the spare key that his mother kept taped to the bottom of a plastic vase. He hadn't really visited home since being released from prison since Randy had gotten out of rehab, but Janet had been discharged from the hospital a few days prior so he was willing to put aside his anger to visit her.

Michael shut the door with his foot and placed the key on top of the table in the foyer that was pushed against the wall under a large rectangular mirror with a gold frame. Katherine exited out of the kitchen, wiping her hands with a dark green hand towel. Surprised to see him, she smiled widely and opened her arms.

"It's not that often I see you walk in this house," she said into his chest as she squeezed him tightly. "Happy Birthday baby."

"Sorry mother and thank you." he said softly. Katherine took a step back and looked up at her son, gripping his chin in her hand, and pulled his head down.

"Have you slept? You look tired."

"It's been a lot going on."

With Nick calling him every third hour and his mind constantly thinking about Farrah he barely had any time to sleep. He was wondering how he had made it this far.

"My poor baby. I'm almost done making dinner and I'd like you to stay."

He stretched his lips, not sure if he wanted to accept the invitation or not. He hadn't really been eating the last couple of weeks, so whatever she had cooked tempted him to stay, but he didn't want to be at the same table with Randy for an hour or so either.

"I don't know mother. I'll let you know. Was' Dunk up to?" He asked before she could try and say something to guilt-trip him into staying.

"Layin' up in that room," Katherine replied, sighing. They both started for the stairs, Michael behind his mother. She threw the hand towel over her shoulder as she said, "she hasn't moved. Hasn't talked about who had hurt her either."

"Hmph," Michael grunted, not really surprised. If Janet talked about that night then that meant she would have to talk about Nick. And talking about Nick meant talking about their relationship which was a road Michael knew Janet didn't want to go down with their mother. Especially since Nick was the cause of Michael getting sentenced to six years in prison.

As they passed by Michael's old bedroom he realized that it was clean. A little too clean considering Randy was supposed to be staying in his old room.

"Mother did Randy move out?"

Coming to a stop in front of Janet's closed door, Katherine sighed. "Yes, he did. A lot of things have happened over the last few weeks."

"Why he leave? Is he back on drugs?"

Katherine turned to face her son and Michael noticed that it looked as if she had aged some years since the night at the hospital. Between Michael, Randy, and Janet, Katherine wasn't sure who she worried about the most. It was costing her precious years of her own life.

"I don't know, Michael," she answered softly and honestly. "I confronted him about something Janet told me the night we were all at the hospital and he got upset. So upset that he's left. I haven't seen him all week." Her voice cracked, but she quickly put a smile on her face. "I'm making fried chicken... in case you change your mind."