27.

Farrah's POV

Ten minutes had turned into thirty, but by minute twenty I was up and pacing in my living room. I tried recalling anything that I may have said or done, but nothing came to mind. Everything had been very chill for the last three weeks that I don't know what would make Michael want to come over and have a serious talk with me.

At least it sounded serious over the phone.

Now here I was pacing... trying to piece it together. And hold it together.

I stopped and bit down on my lip when I heard two knocks at my door. I walked over, taking a deep breath before I opened it. Michael wasn't in his regular get-up for his work day at the auto shop. Instead he had on a long-sleeve royal purple shirt tucked in a pair of black slacks.

And he had his curls exactly like I liked them; down and free.

He laughed, and it immediately made me relax and not worry about the conversation that was coming.

"You gonna stand there and stare or move so I can come in?"

Moving out of the way I let him into my apartment, closing and locking the door behind him.

"You want something to drink?"

"Nah," he replied sitting down on the couch and then patted the open space next to him. "C'mere."

"Did something happen today?" I asked, trying to fill out the situation first as I sat down next to him.

But I wasn't too close because I propped one of my legs up on the couch, so I'd be turned at an angle to see his face.

"Yeah I got a lil' visit from a friend of yours..."

My eyebrows raised in surprised, then lowered as I narrowed my eyes. "Symphony? I promise I'll kill her and reap the damn consequences later."

"Actually nah... Evan."

This took me by surprise and threw me for a loop. "Evan? Why... What did he say?"

"The usual bullshit," Michael mumbled. "You need better. You don't need to be wit nobody like me... shit like that."

Every bit of nervousness had been shut out and replaced by pure rage. Evan was going to hear my mouth tomorrow and I didn't care if the whole precinct heard it.

"Then he told me to watch my back," Michael finally looked at me "and that was the shit that sent me. I don't know your boy like that, but it sounded like a threat to me."

"Michael I'm sor..."

He stopped me, shaking his head. "It ain't your fault. I'm just lettin' you know, Farrah. So, when shit happens it ain't like you was in the dark."

"When whathappens?"

Michael shrugged, leaning back into my couch. "Evan and Symphony are gettin' on my damn nerves. I get Evan likes you which is cool, but obviously you don't like him. So, I don't know why he comin' to my job tellin' me how bad I am for you and that I needa leave you alone. Then Symphony don't like me never has I don't really know why 'cuz I ain't know a little academic competition could make somebody hold a grudge this damn long. The shit is irritatin' and it's gettin' old Farrah."

"Michael you're acting like I don't know that. You're just now dealing with it. I've been dealing with Symphony for a while and I guess me rejecting Evan has made him act this way too."

"You need to tell them to back the hell off."

I got up from the couch my arms extending out and then slapping against my thighs as I said, exasperatingly, "you don't think I tried?!"