20 | capsize

"Up at night I'm awake cause it haunts me
That I never got to say what I wanted
I'm not the same as I was with you
I would jump out my skin just to get you
How could you have ever know
If I never let it show?
Now I just want to know, are you?"

20 | capsize

-Olivia-

I looked up to see Mom standing there with an innocent look and puppy eyes.

Uh oh.

"No mom," I shook my head. "You can't bribe me with food this time." I told her, putting my fork down.

"But Oli-" she whined- my mom literally whined-placing the fork back in my plate.

I narrowed my eyes at the fork but kept eating because- FOOD IS GRACIOUS AND FOOD DID NOTHING WRONG. FOOD CAN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG, IT'S HOLY.

She smiled triumphantly and a spark ignited behind her eyes. Uh oh.

"Nuh huh," I told her, shaking my head. "I am not agreeing on becoming Nicholas' date again. He's a total Freak with a capital F! Last time we went for movies and he accidentally groped my ass!" I said, air quoting the word- accidentally.

Mom gave me a weirded out look. "It was probably dark?..."

"Oh please mom. Just because he's Claudia's son, doesn't mean he can be a complete douchebag." I rolled my eyes.

Claudia is Mom's best friend. And a genuinely nice person.

...with questionable parenting skills apparently.

"Whatever," she brushed the topic off. "We are not talking about that. I am not asking you to go out with him."

My eyebrows shot up again. I am getting a lot of surprises today.

"You remember that your father has gone out of the pack to help another pack heal a few patients?"

I nodded my head.

"Yeah," she continued, "So he is saying that there are a few patients there who aren't only physically damaged. They are suffering through psychological truama as well. He wants me to come and join him. So that I can counsel them and we can work together."

I opened my mouth to argue that he could ask any other psychologist but she stopped me.

"I haven't been working for a while, I want to do this too. I want to revive me career." She looked down at her hands and fiddled with her fingers. "I can't live like this anymore."

Mom left her job years ago. The reason is unknown to me, but she did. And I know that she has never been completely happy ever since. Her job gave her happiness. She is a psychologist who couseled for the army. And in the pack, she was our pack counselor too. She was always busy, yet so happy.

She always taught me that if you are living through a sad part of your life, and you don't know what to do anymore, you should resort to helping others. Because when you help others, you start realizing how much you have in your life and you value everything so much more. You feel good about yourself. And everything gets okay before you even know it.

I took her hands and caressed them in a comforting gesture.

"I understand, mommy." I said and kissed her cheek.

She smiled at me and her eyes glistened with happiness and pride.

If she's happy- then I am happy for her.