26 | medicine

“I don't reach for the bottle of whiskey
Straight on the rocks
But you don't see me popping the pills
Cause if you want the pain to go away, in a second make it fade
You're the only thing that will
You're my medicine, medicine.”

---

25 | medicine

•Olivia•

"Yes, Ryder." I said. "He's my mate."

As soon as those words left my throat, Ryder's face paled and he held a shocked expression on his face.

I kind of felt bad for hiding it, but it was like I had no choice.

"I..he...oh my god...why did...oh wait..." He started spluttering but nothing he said made sense to me.

Keeping a hand on his shoulder, I asked him to calm down and he looked at me earnestly.

"That explains the way he acts around you," he said, frowning.

"Yeah." I muttered, picking on the grass.

"Why hasn't he marked you get?" He asked me and I bit my lip, not really wanting to answer that.

What do I tell me? That my mate pushed me off (literally) on the first day we met, spread rumors about me, told me to stay away from him and ignored me when I tried to go near  him?

It sounded horrible and pathetic and I didn't want him to pity for me.

But then again, I have had enough of hiding stuff from him and he deserved to know.

So I told him.

From the beginning. How the met, my birthday party, what happened in detention, another stupid party, false heat, Lupus, rogue attack— everything.

By the time I was done, Ryder was livid. No wait, he was fuming. Without a single word said, he stood on his feet and dashed towards the pack house.

"Oh god! Ryder! Where are you going?" I ran after him, clutching his elbow, I pulled him back. But he tried to tug and pull away from my hold.

"Let me go, Livy. I'll kill that motherfucker." A growl left his throat and his eyes turned black, telling me that he was going to shift soon.

"Ryder, please calm down," I placed my hands on my shoulder, and tried to calm him down. "It's okay, I'm okay you don't have to hurt him."

"You're okay?" he said, baffled. His voice holding sarcasm and accusation. 

"What do you think I am? Blind? You really expect me to believe that you are okay? I might not say it Livy. But I can see. I can see how upset you've been. How you keep spacing out when we're talking. How you have a permanent frown on your face rather than the carefree smile you used to have. How your makeup doesn't do shit to hide your under eye bags. How your eyes turn watery whenever you look at him. I can see it all, Livy. I can see you are hurting."

His words left me ashtonished as I hung my head low.

"Sorry..." I whispered.