42 | runaway

“I wanna run
Chase the morning sun
When I’m with you
Give it all away
Catching fire as the wind blows
I know that I’m rich enough for pride, 
I see a billion dollars in your eyes
Even if we’re strangers till we die.”

42 | runaway

- Olivia -

"The thing is, Ryder, you know half the truth."

Ryder looked at me, still confused. "Is there something more than you hitting her because she rejected me?"

I want to strangle him. No joke.

"YES!" I said, exasperatedly. "I didn't even hit her because of that! The reason was completely different. I just wanted to talk to her. I searched for her everywhere! But I couldn't find her. Then I went to the washroom to freshen up when she appeared from nowhere and started spewing bullshit about deserving a high rank mate like alpha of beta."

Ryder visibly stiffened and I saw his fists curl.

"She said that she wanted a beta as her mate and that she'll steal away Chance from me!"

Ryder's eyes widened and he looked genuinely surprised at the sentence as if he hadn't expected this.

Well, obviously. This is what happens when you choose to stay blinded to reality.

"But... But...." He mumbled, trying to form words as he said the next sentence. "But maybe she just said so to piss you off? Maybe she's jealous that you are so close to me? Maybe...maybe she didn't mean it. I mean, it's not like she's gonna steal Chance away just by saying it."

"You don't understand, Ryder! Those two have been together before." I snapped at him with a sudden amount of despise filling in my body as I was forced to remind myself of the fact that my mate has been with that bitch before. Physically, but I hope not emotionally.

Ryder opened his mouth to say something before the words sank in and he froze as a blank emotion crossed his face.

"What..." He whispered. His eyes casted downwards and his entire body slumped in despair and despondency.

I fisted my palm and tried to control myself as I felt my wolf trying to come out again.

"You have no idea what all she said, Ryder. My wolf couldn't control it when some other female said that they're gonna steal our mate away from us because they've been so close before. Flashes of the past came back to me and I was reminded of the times I saw them kiss and the times I smelled them on each other. It's no question that they've hooked up before. And I am not saying that it's just Cindy's fault that she didn't wait for her mate. It is Chance's fault too. But at least he is willing to apologise and move on but she... She rejected you, Ryder. She said the rejection words! Chance never rejected me verbally, and on top of it, she dreams of mating with my mate just because he's a beta. Do you expect my wolf to stay calm after it. Do—,"

I couldn't even finish my sentence when I was cut off by a ferocious growl.

"That son of a bitch!" Ryder growled, his hands fists and the veins in his neck throbbed as his eyes turned pitch black in color. Telling me his wolf was in control.