48 | wide awake

“Yeah, I was in the dark, I was falling hard with an open heart
I'm wide awake
How did I read the stars so wrong?
And now it's clear to me that
everything you see ain't always what it seems
Yeah, I was dreaming for so long
I wish I knew then, what I know now
Wouldn't dive in, wouldn't bow down.”

---

48 | wide awake

-Olivia-

"I am so proud of how this turned out," Cindy said with a proud sigh. "Why don't you let us tell you how we planned this?"

"By being heartless and cold?" I asked, my voice holding no emotions contradictory to how I was feeling.

You know the kind of feeling you get when you know you have been betrayed? The feeling when your stomach is paining and you feel tremors in your legs. When your heart palpitates and your throat begins to close up. When the entire world seems to have slowed down and you just want to curl up in the corner and cry.

That's how I felt. Just probably a hundred times worse.

But I had a lot more to listen. More to bear. And more to grieve over.

"Oh we were heartless, alright. But you were just plain stupid." Chance chuckled followed by a snort by Cindy as they both mocked at me.

"How could you even think I'd like you." He looked at me from up to down with a disgusted sneer and my eyes welled up with fresh tears as I realized how the eyes that were warm and loving yesterday had turned cold and indifferent now.

What changed? I was still the same. If he could love me then, why can't he love me now?

...or maybe he never even loved me.

"I am not stupid. I was just—"

"Hoping?" He said with a raised eyebrow.

I shut up because he was right. It was my hope that killed me. I had hoped to find true love at last. After Ryder and Xander, I felt like Chance was my happy ending and I believed too much in mates. I gave him all the chances I could. And probably, I was wrong.

"Spineless!" Cindy sneered at me as she clung closer to Chance and he wrapped his arms around her.

A wave of sadness hit me and I tried not to close my eyes tightly and slap myself for hurting because of him. I wish I could just snap the mate bond into half so that atleast I won't feel jealous everytime he was with her anymore.

"I told you Chance is mine," Cindy said, running his finger across his chest as she looked at me with a evil glint in her eyes.

"Before he met you, everyone in the school knew that he is mine. And we were going so strong. Then you came into the picture tried to ruin it all. You were his mate and you thought that you will win him. But that didn't happen. That won't happen. After meeting you at your birthday, he came running to me for help."

I gasped as the information sunk in. He had been planning to do this all along?

"You remember the detention you got the next day? The one in which you saw me and Chance making out?" She said. "That was the exact detention where we formulated most of the plan. It was quite simple to be honest. All he wanted to do was hurt you."

Chance cut her off to speak.

"I wanted to take you to the brink. I wanted you to wholesomely believe that I love you. And then, I wanted to crush your heart. I wanted it to hurt as much as it could. So when I found that you were a virgin. Which was only a few days after meeting you, I knew that was how I was going to do it. I was going to make you give your virginity to me. I was going to fuck you, taste you and take my sweet time with you for a night. I wanted to know how it feels like to be with my mate before crushing your hopes and dreams the next day."