Seven.

I know I said updates would be Fridays, but this is to make up for the delays in the last couple of weeks. Still sick, so apologies for any bits that don't make sense thanks to a mushy brain. I didn't really like this chapter, but hopefully you do?

-----

Getting dressed for my coming work out, there is no one in the house except for Jordan who is snoring enough for about ten people. Going out the back, there is barely enough light to see by and the curled up snake could easily be mistaken as a bundle of ropes under my veranda. He wakes up the second I close the door, yawning as he blinks a few times.

"Elise!" He greets happily, unwrapping himself slowly so he is now moving around me.

"Hey Alfie," Hugging him makes me feel better. I didn't even think I was feeling bad, but he is an instant mood booster. "I miss the days of it just being us."

"Our home Elisssse. Same blood here too."

"I know, but doesn't feel like home at the moment." I sigh, sitting down on his coils and he moves so he can rest his head in my lap. I gentle stroke between his eyes, loving the smooth feel of his skin.

"Human gone?"

"Yes, human is gone," I instantly cringe, I hadn't even gone to check on Matt yet. Sure I'd been busy, but it wouldn't be that hard to get away for an hour to go see him.

"Elise sad?"

"A little I guess. It's better this way though Alfie."

"Yesssss. Alfie happy. Elise happy now?" He presses his head against my stomach, and I hug him again.

"Elise is always happy if Alfie is happy. I don't know what I'd do without you!" I stupidly start to cry, and lay down on him now.

"Alfie will be with Elise master of mine. No cry or sss-ad." He covers me, letting me hide away for a moment as I wipe my eyes and take a deep breath.

"I love you Alfie."

"Alfie loves Elise!" He answers, restricting around me in a hug of his own.

"Careful pal, too tight!" I warn and he relaxes.

"Slayer is here."

Peeking up over the protective wall his body created, sure enough Zane is coming through the house and opens the door. "Alfie, seen Elise?"

"I'm here!" I call out, standing up. Alfie's tail wraps around my waist as he lifts me up over his body to save him moving more than he has to.

"Ready?" He smirks.

"Don't you ever sleep?"

"Time for that later. Come on Bunting, don't make me start by making you do push-ups now." Zane teases, though I think there was an actual threat there.

"You know, I used to like you before you went all commando!"

"I used to like you too, until you called me Grandpa and asked if I was over thirty!" I roll my eyes at that and he only laughs. "Come on, we gotta go."

"Go?"

"Yeah, training. I think you could do with some company."

I don't even ask what he means by that and leaving home, we end up walking down the street to the park area by the river. Seeing his team as well as Sam, Keiran and Raya warming up has my stomach in knots.

"Hey!" Raya bounces over, "How good is it to be put through a work out with Zane?"

"If you went through what I did yesterday, not good!" I look to where a pile of tires and ropes had been dumped by some of his team and Rachelle comes over to stand with us.