Thirty Two

Despite the morning being cloudy, by midday it's now clear, even a little warm and sitting outside with Alfie and Lola, no, new snake, it's kind of easy to forget what had happened last night. Right now, I'm happy to forget, but I am willing to remember something else.

"So Alfie, how you doing now bud?" I crack the seal on another bottle of cola and take a sip, watching him as he follows the bottle. He doesn't answer. "Alfie?"

His tongue flicks out and I think that is as close as he can get to licking his lips. Does he even have lips? He has a mouth so I'm going with yes.

"Good." He gets out, watching as I put the lid back on.

I can feel his disappointment. "Want some?"

He nods. 

"How about we try something and then you can have all of this." I leave out the part about my plans on starting him on health kick and cutting out the soft drink from his diet.

He nods again.

"Alfie, Elise needs to work out what's going on up here." I point to my head, "Can you help me remember what happened when I was in hospital asleep?"

His head tilts slightly, and I can see his brain working in over time to work out what I am asking.

"Alfie find Eliseses movie?"

"Movie?" Now I'm the one looking confused.

"Alfie see what Elise see. Movie."

"Memory Alfie. It's a memory. Movies aren't real, what is in here, is." I point at my head again as I realise I have to cut down on his TV time too.

His tail comes around my waist and I’m lifted as he curls himself up enough for me to then sit on him. Mini snake wakes up at this, releasing my arm and goes to sit under the plastic garden chair in the shade. "Alfie try."

I have no idea if this will work, and looking into his eyes, everything begins to fade away. His eyes get larger, expanding from their sockets until all I can see is black. It's nice; familiar. All my worries disappear and I feel like I'm floating. Everything is suddenly great. I don't know what is happening exactly, other than right now, I am content with my life, with the world. 

I feel invincible.

What a stupid thought.

The feeling of peace starts to shake as I get my mind functioning once more. Is it over?

"Don't go that way." I don't know that voice.

What is he talking about?

"Why not?" The darkness disappears, and instead everything is bathed in a silver glow. I know I want to go that way; it’s calling to me.

"You're not ready for what is in there."

"I think I am." I argue.

"Stop being so stubborn. Come have a drink with me."

Turning around I'm back in Darius's bar. Music plays from the stereo; I can't pick the tune, but it's catchy enough. The place is empty, and it's only the bar lights on. Not seeing Darius there is strange, but Alistair finishes wiping down the counter, throwing a lazy smile my way before producing two shot glasses. He doesn't look like his portrait. He's taller than I expected him to be too, and daring to go closer, the silver scars across his neck were not in the painting.

I can also see some family resemblance. His hair is mostly silver now, much greyer than Dads, though I know what to expect from his looks in about ten years time – maybe less if I keep up this kind of stress on him. One thing is clear though, whoever did those paintings sucked. Even in the old photographs, I never realised how much Alistair and his distant grandson look alike.