Eighteen.

Putting down iBob, I go and get a drink from the fridge.  Looking out the kitchen window I take a minute to admire the view. The trees that surround my parents’ home make it seem as if we’re miles from anywhere. Since it’s the first time I’ve actually had some alone time all week, the feeling of being so isolated is kind of nice. Well I'm not just checking out the view. Being alone, and with no one to be seen nearby gives me a chance to actually do some investigating of my own.

Dad has a class on until five and Logan is with him. Mum is helping Huntington and some new teacher I don’t know work out some timetabling issues, so that should leave me interruption free. The second I pick up her mobile that she left behind, Alfie looks at me curiously.

“Don’t judge. This is between you and me okay?” I let him finish off the bottle of cola to try and lure him back to my side and smile as mum still has the same password on her phone. Once in I find who I’m looking for, I hit call and pray I can pull this off.

“Hey Mum!” Jordan answers rather casually.

“Hi Jordy,” I sigh.

“Everything okay?” He asks making me grin. So far so good. 

“Well love, it’s your sister…” 

“Is she okay? Has she been found?” He asks, panicked. It's nice to see he cares.

“No, nothing like that. She’s just been really, depressed. Do you think we’re doing the right thing?”

There is a pause and I think I'm sprung until he answers.

“I’m honestly surprised she’s still there. Luckily we have that perimeter set up though in case she does try anything. I don’t buy the depressed act. She might be trying to get you all to let your guard down. Remember what I told you about our get her drunk plan? She was onto us instantly!” He laughs, more annoyed than amused and I can just imagine how that conversation went.

“That’s true. I worry about you kids, that’s all.” Again I sigh, trying to keep my voice low and patient. Tapping into every conversation I had ever with mum over the phone, I think I’m getting away with it.

“I know Mum, and we love you for it. Just, keep an eye on her. Until we find the missing Slayers and even more importantly work out who or what this Cain thing is, Ellie is better off being kept out of Drac’s games, especially if it's anything to do with what's been going on.”

“Cain?” I ask a little too bluntly.

“Yeah, didn’t Dad tell you? I know he wasn’t telling Logan cause you know Ellie will get it out of him somehow. How is that going by the way?”

“Good. Your Dad is keeping them busy!” Jordan only laughs and I roll my eyes, wanting to stay on topic. “Can you tell me now? She's not here, your Dad has her reorganizing, the, ah, gym equipment.”

“Well I won’t say too much, but from what V told us, it’s bad. Every Slayer is being put on alert and the fae are all helping set up new undergrounds to house them as we think they're going to be targeted first. The rest of us are taking over their duties while they are undergoing some of kind of secret Slayer training bullshit.”

“I’m a Slayer, why aren’t I involved?”

“Well from what Zane had told Dad,“ he paused, “Fuck! Elise! Just you wait until-”

"Jordan! Language!" I scold, trying to sound very motherly. It doesn't work.

"Cut the crap Elise!" He snaps back. Good thing I wasn't Mum with the profanities that follow.

“Calm down Jord, no one was telling me anything! I could have run off or something, which may I add was going to be plan b if this didn’t work! Oh and thanks for the heads up about the patrols!”