9-"Why?"

Ajax-

I was afraid Monday would be very awkward.

It was.

It was strange to look at my teacher, whether it be in gym or photography, and resist the urge to call him 'Steve'. Whenever I felt his eyes on me, my stomach turned. His voice alone made my heart flutter.

"Ajax, you've been strangely quiet this lunch," Echo pointed out.

I blushed. I had been staring at Steve—Mr. Grand—most of lunch. "Sorry, just..." I trailed off, not knowing what to say.

Addy covered for me, "Just worries about the bet you'll lose?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah. That."

Neither Mom nor Dad knew about the photo shoot. They might completely freak out, even if I was getting paid. Especially since I was gay, going to an adult male's house, let alone my teacher's house, could lead to trouble. But I wanted trouble.

I decided that at our next photo shoot, I'd try to get to know him. So, I decided to start a conversation with him.

I had to put on some blue swim shorts, but I kept on my grey shirt. Steve told me I'd have to take it off for the shoot, but that we'd have to walk a little to get to Pier 5, where he has a boat. He was being hired to take photos for the advertisers of the swim shorts, and he thought I'd be the perfect model.

As we were walking to the pier, I was debating whether or not I should try to start a conversation. Steve decided for me, saying, "So, have you thought about where you wanna go to college?"

I shrugged. "I was thinking of trying to get into London College of Communication for photography."

"London. Nice." He smiled. "You do have a good eye for photos."

I tried to keep the conversation going. "Where did you go to college?"

"Well, I went to Belmont for a year, then the University of Illinois."

"Cool," I said. I didn't want the conversation to stop, but I didn't know how to keep it going.

"So," Mr. Grand asked, "Are you dating anybody?"

I was taken aback by the question. "Is that appropriate, Sir?"

He tried to wave it off. "No, I'm sorry."

"It's okay," I assured. "And, no. I'm not. My boyfriend just broke up with me last year," I solemnly reason.

He wraps his arm around me. "Oh, I'm sorry." But I couldn't help but think that I saw his brown eyes light up slightly as I said this.

I shrug. "It's okay. But it is hard, considering the lack of gay guys at Stuyvesant."

He chuckled. "And who's the lucky lady you're getting married to?" I asked, suddenly feeling my nerves slowly sink away.

"Her name's Zoey," he told me. Most people, when they talk about people they love, light up. Steve didn't. It clearly wasn't meant to be with him and Zoey, even if he was straight.

I nodded. "How'd you two meet?" I continue.

"We went to high school together."

"So you must really love her, then."

He shrugs. "Just because you stay with someone since high school, doesn't mean you love them. It just means it's comfortable." His voice was so quiet, and I wasn't sure I was supposed to hear it. So, I just ignored it. But it was hard to ignore the jump of joy in my heart.

"We're here," he triumphantly states. He leads me to a boat that was either a big boat or a small yacht.

I nervously removed my shirt, and suddenly felt exposed as Steve's eyes hit my body. "Just hop onto the boat there," he instructed, doing so with me. "Just lean your hand against the railing... look at me... make sure to smile... try propping your foot up against the boat... great... perfect. Okay, that's all," he finally told me after more camera clicks and too much time.

I sighed. "Thank god," I groaned, throwing on my shirt. The wind had been growing, and my hair was everywhere.

He laughed, and we started walking back to his house.

Once we got there and I had changed, he showed me the photos from the previous week. "These are..." I tried to say, though I was at a loss for words.

He shrugged. "I know, they aren't too good. I've just gotten back into the photography game, and..."

"... incredible," I finish.

Steve blushes. "Well, I sure hope my friend Eli thinks so. He's a gallery owner, and has been trying to get me back into the game."

"And you're thinking of using photos of me?" I asked. He nodded, and now it was my turn to blush.

As I started to leave, Steve handed me an envelope. This time, it had $500. "I can't take this much," I protested just as I had the first day.

She shakes his head. "It's from the company that had leant me the swim trunks. It's no problem."

I decide to just take the money, and head over to Echo's.

Addy was ecstatic about something that had happened. I questioned her what it was. "Duke Harris asked me out on a date!" She squealed.

Echo was excited for her, but neither Grace nor I were. "I'm not sure that's a great idea, Addison," I tell her.

"Why?" She asked, genuinely confused.

"Because he's a dick. He's been a dick to me since we met him."

Addy rolled her eyes. "It was only ever Eric that was causing trouble."

"But he never stopped it!" I point out. "And, I don't care how good looking he is, but he'll break you, Addison. I don't want that to happen."

"He won't break me," she defended. "He's not like that!"

"But he is!" I honestly just wanted to protect her.

But, Addy stormed off, and Echo followed her. I sighed. "So, how's your love life?" I asked Grace.

She shrugged. "So you like somebody?" I assume.

She shrugs again. "Can I help you get this guy?"

Grace did a nervous laugh. "No. I can't."

"Why?"

"Well, I think they're in a relationship. Or interested in someone else, at least."

"How do you know this boy doesn't like you?"

"They'd never like someone like me."

"Why?"

She sighs. "You know what, forget it. It's okay, really. We can't all have the easy love lives you and Addy have." She, too, left.

What was up with her?