26-"We're pregnant!"

A/N:

So sorry. This is a terrible chapter. I had a tooth pulled out, and was really drowsy when I wrote it, but I'm too lazy to write a new one! It makes no sense, but... it's a chapter.

Ajax-

Family dinner.

I hate family dinner.

It always meant some big announcement.

Our first was when Mom and Nathan got married. Addy and I were only three, yet they thought a family dinner was necessary.

Our second was at five, when Dad and Riley got married. Again, we were five.

At eight, Addy and I experienced our third, but first conscious, family dinner. Our cousin had died. And only a few months later, his sister died, resulting in another family dinner.

When we were ten, I called a family meeting to announce my sexuality. At ten, I was still a fan of family dinners.

At thirteen, Addy called one to announce her first boyfriend. A week later, she called another to announce their breakup.

When we were fourteen, one was called to announce that Addy and I had to move schools. We were accepted into Stuyvesant—one of the top New York high schools—in the middle of the year. As much as we didn't want to leave our old high school, we had to admit that our new one was great.

And now, at eighteen, another was being called. For what, we did not know. All I know is that we have gone four years without one. The longest break ever.

Mom and Nathan were the ones to call the family meeting.

As we sat at the dinner table,—me, Addy, Dad, Riley, Mom, and Nathan,—I could see the smile planted on Mom and Nate's faces. It was clear the news was good. I was almost blinded from how much Mom was showing her bright smile.

Nathan reached over and grabbed Mom's hand, gently squeezing it. We had eaten an appetizer, and, as the tradition goes, the news would be told, we'd eat a main course, have dessert, all the while talking about the news.

Mom and Nathan stood, and everybody's eyes darted to them. Not even Dad or Riley knew the purpose of the meeting. I could see them anxiously look at each other, unsure of what they were about to hear.

"So," Mom started, "Nathan and I have called a family meeting because..." they looked at each other, squeezed hands, and exchanged smiles.

Nathan mouthed a countdown from three before they finally announced, in sync; "We're pregnant!"

What?

"What?" I found my mouth saying involuntarily. I couldn't depict the emotion I felt.

I glanced at Dad, his mouth agape and eyes wide with surprise. He ran his hands through his brown hair, taking in the news.

I turned to Riley, who was itching his head as he thought, messing up his dirty blonde hair.

Finally, I looked at Addy. She had a smile on her face, mouth open so wide it was almost touching the ground.

"Andi, that's fantastic!" Dad finally said.

Mom smiled, going over to hug him. "Thanks for the support, Ash," she said. "We weren't sure..."

Nathan came up behind her, squeezing her shoulder. "Thanks, bro," he said to Dad.

"Yeah, guys, that's great," Riley agreed.

"I'm going to be a big sister!" Addy exclaimed.

Mom chuckled. "You are, indeed."

My mind was whirling. "How long?" I asked, speaking for the first time.