34-"I love Addison."

Ajax-

Steve was out of town.

Though I missed him, it did give me lots of time to spend with my friends.

Echo and Grace both came over to mine and Addy's home. We said hello to Mom and Nathan—Mom was already three or four months pregnant.

We then immediately headed to Addy's room—the three girls thought it was 'disgusting' to go into my room, because I was a boy. It was stupid, but I didn't mind. I mean, I even had some of the same posters of hot guys as Addy did! But, Addy's room was now more of a tradition, anyways.

So, we all took our respective places once in my sister's room—Grace and me on the bed, Addy on the floor in front of me, Echo on the floor in front of Grace.

I had my computer with me, and I showed the girls some of my latest pieces, and latest shows.

The conversation soon moved on to college. We were all excited, having agreed to a college—Addy at Stanford, me at UALL, Grace at DU, and Echo at Duke—though sad to leave each other. "Well, Ajax is moving out of the country," Echo reminded us.

I rolled my eyes. "We're all moving. But, we have to get together every break," I insisted.

Everybody hummed and nodded in agreement.

Before we knew it, the conversation was moved to my future little sibling. "Do you know the gender?" Grace asked.

Addy sighed. "No. Mom and Nathan insisted they didn't need to know."

Echo scrunched her face in confusion. "Why wouldn't they want to know?" She asked.

I scoffed. "I know! How am I supposed to prepare? Am I supposed to buy a bunch of dolls to get on her good side, or a bunch of Nerf guns to get on his good side?!" I complained, causing everybody to start snickering.

"What about names?" Grace asked. "Are they going to keep with the 'A' pattern?"

Addy and I shrugged. "Maybe," we responded in sync.

Echo started giggling. "Well, no matter the name of this mystery child, they're definitely going to be left out. Can't just join what you two have."

And, for the final topic, we started talking about the upcoming dance—prom.

"What're you going to do for prom, Ajax?" Echo asked, forcing everybody to turn their heads to me.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

Echo sighed. "I mean your lover is a teacher. Not exactly like you can go with anybody, or even dance with them!"

I shook my head. "No. Steve'd be cool with me dancing with other guys!" I reasoned.

Addy shrugged. "Well, I feel like us three girls have a bigger problem," she remarked.

I scoffed, "How so?"

Echo shot me a look. "Because we don't have anybody!" She yelled.

I chuckled. "Oh, shut up. Your all very beautiful girls, somebody must have a crush on you." I paused. "Well, except for you, Addy." We all laughed, but my eyes unintentionally wandered over to my friend beside me. Grace, I could see, was trying to avert her eyes from Addy and instead direct them to the ground.

I coughed, trying to clear the subject in some way and make Grace feel better. "Well, what about you, Echo?" I asked. "You have a special man?"

Echo sighed, shoulders slumping. "No. I did have a crush on this guy, though—Tom was his name—but, turns out he's gay."

I started chuckling. "Jeez, Where was Tom when I needed somebody?" I joked.

"We can have a girls date instead!" Addy suggested. "Have us girls go together!"

The corner of Grace's mouth twitched, but it was so fast that I couldn't tell whether it went up or down. "That sounds fun," Grace told her, her voice having enthusiasm. I tried to decide whether it was real or not.

Addy smiled, and Echo shrugged. "Why not," Echo responded.

I looked around. "What about me, guys?" I asked, mock offended.

Grace slapped my shoulder with the back of her hand. "You are a girl," she told me, a genuine smile on her face as she clearly tried to avoid talking about or to Addy.

I chuckled and slapped her back. "You can come with us, I guess," Addy assured me, slight sarcasm in her voice.

I smiled brightly, my eyes locking reassuringly with Grace's. "Great," I told them.

Echo's phone buzzed, and she groaned. "Sorry, guys, but I'm afraid I got to head out."

Addy and I nodded, everybody standing up. We each gave Echo a hug after she grabbed her stuff. "I'll walk you out," Addy offered, as she always did.

Echo nodded. "I'll see you guys tomorrow?" She asked. Grace and I nodded.

The door to Addy's room closed, and I instantly plopped back down on it. "So," I started, drawing out the word. "How's stuff with Addy?" I asked.

Grace sighed, shrugging. "Good, I guess," she answered as she collected her items.

I nodded. "Are you... are you going to tell her how you feel?"

"No," Grace scoffed.

I frowned. "Why not?"

"She's straight."

"To be fair, you thought you were straight."

Grace shook her head. "That's different. I know Addy is straight."

I sighed. "Does that change your feelings for her at all?"

There was a pause, and it was Grace's turn to sigh. "Honestly?"

"Honestly."

"No. I think... I think Addy's... I think she's fantastic."

"Well, Grandpa Colton always says, 'You like despite, you love because.'"

"What does that mean?" Grace asked.

I chuckled. "It means, you like somebody despite their flaws. That can be in a friend sense, or a crush sense. And you love somebody because of them. For example, I love you because of your short temper, because it makes you protective. Or, I love Steve because he's confusing, and shy, because it only makes him sweeter. But, I liked Eric despite the fact that he was jerk."

"You liked Eric?"

I chuckled. "The first day I met him, yes. I mean, did you see those muscles?"

We both laughed, and once it finally calmed down, I continued. "Well, name some of Addy's flaws."

Grave sighed. "Well, Addy is a bit much—her personality can be so big, and she can be loud, and emotional."

"Is there a but?" I asked. "Or a because?"

"Well, she's loud, and out there, and emotional... but it means she's passionate. And, she's just... perfect. Her flaws make her better."

"So? Is it a like despite... or a love because?"

Grave sighed, a chuckle leaving her lips. "Oh my god. I love Addison."

In all honesty, I wasn't sure how it made me feel. But, Grace got a text from her parents. She started cursing under her breath, rushing to get her stuff in order. She said her goodbyes, and rushed out.

I sat on Addy's bed, defeated and thinking. Until Addy herself came back in.

She shut the door behind her, her mouth wide with surprise.

Addy took a deep breath before asking, "Grace loves me?"