18-"I'm back!"

Ajax-

I went to school.

I was anxious for gym, which came before photography on Tuesday. I had been excused on Monday. I hadn't spoken to him since the kiss. The second kiss, that is.

I was practically jumping up and down in my gym uniform. On Tuesday, he was always late. There was only 2 minutes until the bell rang, but most people had already gathered on the bleachers.

"Whoo, don't crack your head open from excitement, Ajax," Addy warned with a chuckle.

I sighed, "Shut up, Addy. I'm just nervous."

"We can tell," Grace responded, rolling her eyes. All three girls laughed.

I flicked the back of her head. "You guys are jerks!" I exclaimed.

I heard the gym door click. Echo gave me a knowing look, and I couldn't help but gasp. I was so nervous.

But then, the footsteps cane forward. I realized the bell hasn't rung yet. I realized the footsteps were heavier, and more frequent. It wasn't Steve.

Now, I know that's a strange thing to know from just that. But, after spending two days with him, and a few months of classes, I just know.

The bell rang.

And it wasn't him.

Instead, a short, heavy, old man was there. He introduced himself as Coach Welch.

Steve wasn't there for photography, either. Instead, there was an older woman named Ms. Carissa.

"I'm not sure what happened," I groaned.

Grace shrugged. "Some love just... isn't suppose to work out." I knew she was talking about her secret crush, but didn't say anything.

Duke and Daniel were sitting at the table with us. Addy grabbed Duke's arm, resting her head on it. "Some live is perfect, though," she sighed, gazing into his eyes.

"Barf," Grace said.

I am almost sad to admit it, but the twins were nice when they weren't with Eric. It almost made it worse. "When is Eric coming back?" I asked them.

They smirked at each other. "Tomorrow," Daniel said.

My body tensed slightly. But, Addy glared at me. "You boys better play nice," she warned.

~

I drove Echo and Grace to school the next day.

Addy went with Duke, which also meant she went with Daniel and Eric.

Once I got to school, I put my hood up. I tried not to be seen. "That's a bit dramatic," Grace told me.

"It's not," I insisted. "Eric's back."

I had to wait until my second class to see if Steve was there. It was even more nerve racking than yesterday.

There was no teacher there when I entered, but I had arrived early. Almost no kids were there.

Except...

"I'm back!" He sung, arms thrown in the air, a smug smile on his face.

"Fuck," I muttered under my breath. I turned to walk away, but felt the big hand grip my shoulder.

He chuckled. "Oh, you're not going anywhere, fag."

I tried to step forward, but Eric's grip didn't falter. He yanked me back, sending me onto the floor. "I missed this," he said as he cracked his knuckles.

I rolled into a ball, trying to protect my stomach. So, Eric sent his foot flying into my side. Duke and Daniel were there, too, doing nothing. "Duke!" I begged as the wind was knocked out of me. He looked away.

I growled. I sent my leg under Eric's, making him fall to the ground. I tried to get up, clutching my side. But, Eric got up before me.

He gripped my shoulder, his nails digging in. I winced, feeling some blood trickle out. "You dick," he said through clenched teeth. He grabbed my other shoulder, and throw my head down on to the table.

As I slid down, falling back to the ground, I could practically feel the stitches being torn open again. It wasn't long before there was blood around me. I looked, and realized there was also blood soaked into my shirt on my shoulder from Eric's nails.

Another student entered the room. She squealed, and ran out. I saw Eric point at me. "This isn't over," he warned. He kicked my side once more before walking out, motioning the Harris twins to go with him.

I lay down on the ground, too afraid to move. Afraid that if I moved, id black out again. Blood was trickling from my shoulder, but felt like it was streaming from my head.

"He's in here!" I heard a female voice yell. Probably the same girl that walked in earlier.

"Ajax?!" I heard Steve yell as his footsteps got closer.

I coughed. But what came out was blood. I tried to call out his name, but I couldn't.

He ran over, kneeling beside me. Strangely, the first thing I noticed was that he had glasses on. Clear-framed prescription glasses. I smiled.

I instinctively reached my hand up as he reached his down. He picked me up, whispering in my ear, "It'll be okay." My hand grazed his beard, and he smiled slightly.

I knew he was taking me to the nurse. I noticed Addy was there, and she helped pick me up. They carried me, and I knew I was dropping blood on Steve. I knew I should just lay still. But, I said, "Glasses." Nothing else. Just 'glasses.'

Steve nodded distractedly. "Yeah, reading."

Now, maybe thinking about the glasses is what took my mind off of the situation I was in. Because, I suddenly felt daggers digging into my body. I screamed out in pain.

We were almost at the nurse's office. People stared at us in the halls. "It'll be okay, Ajax," Addy insisted.

They lay me down on one of the beds. "Addison, go tell the nurse, make sure they call the doctors," Steve said. Addy nodded, running over.

Steve breathed deeply. "This is my fault," he muttered.

I shook my head. "It's not," I told him in a tired and pained voice.

He didn't look at me. "It was Eric, wasn't it." It wasn't a question. He knew it was. "I'll kill that son of a bitch," he threatened.

I reached up, resting my hand on his shoulder. "It'll be okay. Calm down."

Steve finally looked at me, chuckling a little. "I wanna kiss you so bad right now," he sighed. "But I'm your teacher."

I looked around. We were the only ones there. I took the risk, grabbing the back of his head, and bringing our lips together.

"We shouldn't," he warned, pushing some of my blonde hair from my face.

"But we did," I answer.