23-"A mistake!"

A/N:

Funeral this weekend. Enjoy the chapter.

Steve-

The events replayed in my mind, over and over.

What happened?

I planned on just calling Ajax into my room so I can ask him how he was feeling. Get to spend some time with him. Get everything sorted out.

And now he was gone.

I started to run after to him, but as soon as my hand rested upon the cool metal of my door knob, I knew it would be a bad idea. Imagine how suspicious that would be!

So, I sat at my desk. My head rested in my hands as I contemplated over what to do next. Knowing Ajax, he'd be broken over this. Especially with the added stress and emotion from his sister.

But, also knowing Ajax, he'd be stubborn. If I called him into my room, he'd be cold and wouldn't look me in the eyes. He'd try to avoid any conversation. In fact, he might not even show up.

I racked my brain for answers. I had to make it up to him! As of now, he was the best thing in my life. I couldn't lose him.

~

During classes, just as predicted, Ajax ignored me.

It was heartbreaking.

His friends were comforting him, and after Addison came back, even she was comforting him.

I didn't know what to do. I couldn't find a time to apologize. He took it the wrong way!

Our modeling sessions were done, obviously. I had run over the idea of trying to get them started up again, but that was out of the picture.

I groaned. I'd just have to be direct with him. No matter how he reacted.

So, after some days of silence from Ajax, the Monday I had been waiting for arrived. The bell rang, and everybody rushed out of the sweaty gym.

"Ajax Miller," I said, stopping one student from his run, "will you please stay a second?"

His blonde hair bobbed as he threw his head back in a groan, and I resisted the urge to chuckle. In any other situation, I might.

Addison patted her brother's shoulder, giving him a sympathetic look. But, she then winked at him, confusing me slightly.

Once all the other students left, Ajax came up to me. As predicted, his arms were crossed over his chest, and his head hung down and to the right. His voice was muffled and quiet, and he refused to look at me or even fully open his mouth to speak. "Yes, Mr. Grand?" There was a hint of disgust in his voice, and my neck twitched from how hostile he was being.

I sighed. I glanced down at my watch, and saw that school had been out for two minutes. On Monday, kids left straight from their last class, while on every other day, they have homeroom. There was chatter in the hallways, and the sound of lockers slamming shit. Kids cursed as they messed up their locker combinations, and teachers gave them annoyed warnings about the bad words.

I had hoped for more privacy than this.

"C'mere," I told Ajax, waving him over to my office. As we entered, I shut the door, muffling the sounds from beyond.

Again, I released a heavy sigh. Running my hands over my face, I searched for the right words. "I'm sorry," I started.

Ajax scoffed, still avoiding my eyes, though I longed to gaze into his blue ones. I longed to have his perfect, plush, pink lips on mine, my stubble grazing along his chin and his hands ran through my tangled hair. "You better be sorry," he muttered.

I shook my head. "It was a misunderstanding!" I reasoned. "A mistake!" I immediately regretted my choice of words.

"Correct, Mr. Grand! A mistake! Just like that kiss, right?" He started to walk away, annoyance and anger clear on his face. Though, when I grabbed his wrist and turned him back around, I swore I saw hints of something else. Disappoint? Sadness? Regret?

I pushed away my questions, resting my hands on Ajax's perfect cheeks. He planted as anger consumed him, his eyes narrow and glaring. Glaring at me.

At least he was looking at me.

I slowly leaned in, allowing our lips to connect. Ajax seemed to go stiff for a second, kiss me back for two, and finally pulled away. It was just three seconds of my lips on his, but it was enough. Though I couldn't deny the fact that I wanted more.

I was out of breath, and my heart was pounding erratically in my ears. "Did that look like a mistake?" I asked him.

Again, his perfect blue eyes were glued to the ground. I squeezed my eyes shut, mentally cursing myself. God, I was such an idiot. It seemed as if I couldn't escape Ajax. My student.

My student.

The word seemed to echo through my head. He gave me a chance to back away from him. He gave me a chance to leave and ensure my job was safe.

But I couldn't let that happen.

I was risking my job, and whole teaching career. I was risking my freedom, considering Ajax was still a minor. I was risking Ajax's future. His future as a student. His future at UAL London (A/N: I did change the college Ajax wants to go to, but...). Yes. I remember the college he wants to go to. I remember that whole conversation. I remember the whole session, just as I do all our other sessions.

Suddenly, I saw a tear drop from Ajax's eye. I reached out, softly tapping his shoulder. He jumped at the contact. "I-I-I'm Sorry," He stammered. "I've... I've got to go." With that, he rushed out, letting my hand stop from his shoulder.

Shaking my head, I thought aloud; "What did I do wrong?" But, as I thought through the whole conversation, I had no idea.

All I knew was that I needed to fix it.

Somehow.