....

I mentally rolled my eyes. Elena just needed an extra person, and I seemed available to go. I shouldn't get that worked up over something so small. I let out a breath and quickly typed my response.

Yea! I'd love to go! What time day and time can u pick me up?

I waited anxiously.

Friday at five? Lacy's thinking of dropping us off at ten.

That didn't seem too bad. Even my strict mother should be able to handle me going to the mall with a few new people. I must've been grinning like an idiot when I sent my final text.

Sounds great!

When no new texts popped up for a few minutes, I picked my pencil up and continued my homework. I'd be lying if I were to say that it wasn't difficult to get back to work. I finally calmed down and got back to studying. Somehow, I still felt kind of upset Wes wasn't the one to text me then. Even with the mall and the surprise invite, something tells me that a simple text from him would've brought me an entirely different set of emotions than any text I could've received from anyone else.

I thought maybe I should text him instead, then decided against it. Didn't want to get to close to Wes until I found out more about him. I'm trying to be as hesitant around him as I can. I don't want to get too close to him. The last thing I need is a trouble-making boyfriend throughout high school. Because I can tell he likes me a lot. But as long as I attend Carson High, I'm going to get attached to any guys.

I heard the front door open, the sound of heavy shoes and my mom's high-pitched greeting indicated my dad was finally home. I ran out my room, spun around the corner to the kitchen, and hugged my dad. Warm brown eyes looked down at me. I released my dad and sat down at the table. We always have dinner right when he comes home.

After dinner, Arianna and I helped mom with the dishes and I finished up my homework. I also took a shower, got in my PJs and prepared everything for school. I was exhausted. Bundling myself in the covers, I turned off my lamp and set the alarm.

Glancing around my quaint room, I saw my phone lying innocently on the night stand. I must've forgotten to check it. As I reached to grab it, a thought suddenly occurred to me. Wes! I had pushed the thought of him to the back of my mind in order to do my homework. I swiped the phone off the counter hastily, my heart hammering to the point where my head was pounding. I turned on my phone, a huge smile plastered across my face. I didn't have time to register that I should keep my emotions under control over something as silly as a potential text. But in the end, I gave into the excitement coursing through me as the screen took a second to light up.

Four texts from Wes. Overjoyed, I quickly scanned each text. My excitement faded into slight confusion. I was glad he had contacted me again. But I felt like something was up. I looked at each text Wes had sent. I grew more suspicious after I read each text one by one.

Flora

I need to talk to u

Something happened, I'll tell u at school

Don't be too surprised when u hear it

I was beyond confused. I tried to think of a bunch of different things that could've happened to Wes. Maybe it had to do with his family or his grades. When I realized I couldn't think of much, it suddenly hit me that I've only known Wes for a day.

There was so way I could fall asleep after what he had sent. I debated whether or not to text him back, then decided against it. It was late and I needed to sleep. I could find out tomorrow.

I placed my phone back on the night stand. I then curled up and closed my eyes. It must've been pretty late when I actually fell asleep. Because when my alarm went off in the morning, It took me ten extra minutes to finally wake up.