Chapter 20

Chapter 20

The car ride through Barcelona was accelerating. Even though we drove on the outskirts, there was a clear view of the buildings. The houses were small, but beautifully designed. Sharp roofs, stoned walls, and narrow streets were what I could make out as the setting sky casted a glowing light over the unique city.

After the plane ride, Elena immediately began talking to me and practically whisking me away from Javier. She told me all about how she lived in Barcelona for most of her life, and that she was completely fluent in Spanish, but her family preferred to speak in english. Her dad stayed here almost all year and rarely came home to their regular house.

Apparently there was a party being hosted here tonight. Elena told me I could borrow one of her dresses, as it was going to be very formal.

She said she couldn't wait to introduce me to her friends and cousins here as well, that she was sure they'd love me.

My eyes remained glued to the window until the taxi finally stopped. "Gracias," Mrs. Accardi told the driver, paying him in euros. He smiled and got out, carrying our suitcases into Elena's second house.

When we all got out, my jaw dropped. I thought her first house was big. This one was massive.

It was made of stucco with a black roof and rimming around the windows. It was beautiful and greatly contrasted with the houses and shops I'd seen on the drive here.

"The driver is actually our butler," Elena told me with a smile when I watched him carry my things inside.

"Hey Flora," I turned around at the sound of Javier's low voice. When I did, I gaped at the view behind us. I could make out everything perfectly. It looked absolutely stunning. It as if we were secluded, away from the city.

"Come on, Flora. I have to show you inside!" Elena grabbed my hand and led me towards the manor.

She opened the unlocked, black double doors and watched to see my reaction. It was identical to her first house, but far more grand. It had a large glass chandelier between the two staircases, and white tile flooring. Several hallways stemmed from the main entrance, although from where we stood, it was extremely expansive.

"Elena, is that you?" I glanced up at a middle-aged man with olive-green eyes and light brown, wavy hair. "Dad!" She ran up and hugged him. He was dressed in a tuxedo, his eyes warm and happy as he looked down at his daughter.

"Already prepared for the party, Giovanni?" Mrs. Accardi said monotonously, but with a smile in her voice. He grinned at his wife. "It's starting in an hour or so. Elena I do not think you introduced me to your friend," he said smiling towards me.

"Oh, Flora this is my dad. She's staying with us." I beamed politely at him. "Hi, Mr. Accardi. His eyes widened briefly in recognition. "Ah, I think Javier has told me about you in the phone. Are the two of you together?" He said, glancing between me and Javier who was just walking in. "What, no!" Javier said in shock and surprise. His tan skin flushed pink, as did I. What had he said about me?

"I'm gonna go show Flora my room and give her a dress to borrow. See you guys at the party," Elena said cheerily, guiding me to up the left set of stairs. I looked down shortly as we ascending and I caught the intense look simmering in Javier's deep brown eyes.

Elena's room was amazing. Instead of the one at her regular house, this one was painted white and had a plush light grey carpeting. Her bed was large, as well as her fancy vanity and personal balcony.

She was currently going through her dresser, ruffling through the very expensive-looking clothing. "The party will be in the backyard, go take a look at it on the balcony, if you want," she said, gleaming.

I walked over to the glass door, my feet sinking into the soft carpeting. The backyard was completely empty, nothing but empty space, but the grass was lushly green and the tall trees framed the space naturally.

"It'll look more alive when the guests come," Elena said then, tossing me a tight red dress. "Now go change in the bathroom, I'm going to do your make-up."