Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I hit snooze about five times that morning which was a new record for me, even with the fact that I was far from being a morning person. Although I did have a lot of homework last night, I was still unusually tired. When I checked the time after the fifth time I hit the snooze button, I bolted out of bed and proceeded to get ready as fast as possible.

I sat by my mom, who was placing fried eggs and a cup of water in front of me. "You need to be on time faster," she gently scolded me. I picked up a knife and fork. "I know." She shook her head and looked out the kitchen window. The weather was awful this morning. It apparently had rained hard and there was still a slight drizzle. It didn't bother me so much, but my mom hated weather like this.

After finishing my breakfast, I decided it was as good a time as ever to tell her about the mall.

"Hey Mom?" She turned to look at me. "Yes?" I smiled slightly. "A few friends are picking me up to go to the mall. Is that okay?" She was silent for a short while, then broke into a huge smile. "Yes, yes, of course it's okay! Have fun!" Just as I'd predicted, she was overjoyed at the fact I was making friends. Even so, I was happy she was completely okay with it.

When I got on the bus, the first thing I noticed was Elena's excitement. A grin was etched across her pretty face. I sat down beside her and took off my backpack, placing it on my lap.

"What're you excited about?" I asked even though I thought I had a pretty good guess as to why. It was probably about the mall and how great it'll be for Dylan and I and how much fun we're all going to have.

Elena turned to face me, her big brown eyes wide. "My brother and his friends are all coming to the mall, too! It's gonna be so fun! They're juniors, by the way." I gave her a fake smile. I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't the least bit excited, but the thought of even more people being there didn't exactly comfort me. I was already pretty nervous that I was going to the mall with a bunch of people I've known less than a week.

Elena smiled right back. She then took her phone out of her front pocket and began texting someone. I took this time to check my own phone, doubting I had any new messages. I only had a few contacts. Wes, Elena, Dylan, my mom and dad. Oh and Ariana, plus a couple contacts from my old school. After I moved away, they never texted me back. 'They' being the only two friends I had then. While being the quiet girl has its perks, it does has its occasional downsides. Without Elena, I probably would be pretty much friend-less. Well, if it wasn't for Wes.

I awkwardly sat still until Elena turned off her phone. "You're gonna sit with me at lunch again, right?" She asked, as if it was obvious I was going to do so. I almost winced at her cheerful tone. I wanted badly to be with Wes. We didn't have any classes together other than math. Though I didn't have any classes with Elena at all.