......

looking directly at me. His blue eyes looked cold and almost angry. I pressed myself harder against the wall.

"My dad. He was drunk again. He came into the house, ready to fight. My mom, she was in the kitchen. I watched him walk toward her. The way she looked at him. She was terrified. Before anything happened, I grabbed the back of his shirt. He turned around and clawed around my neck and jaw. But, that was nothing compared to what I did to him after that."

I could tell Wes was having a hard time telling me all this. He sounded so hurt, so frustrated. I couldn't imagine what he had to go through. "You don't have to tell me anymore, Wes. I understand." He shook his head, laughing humorlessly. "No, you don't. I don't know why you want to be around me. I'm not good for you Flora. I'm trying so hard to stay away from you. I'm selfish. I need you around me, with me. I want you for myself."

My eyesight blurred. Being this close to him, hearing him speak with so much intensity, my mind seemed to have left me. He leaned in even closer, his face inches from mine. My breathing quickened. Everything around us seemingly disappeared. All I could think of was Wes.

All these emotions, all these feelings I've had since I met him. I don't know how it could be anymore obvious to me.

"I love you," I sighed. I didn't think when I said it. I didn't have time to contemplate how he'd react either. His eyes widened. He then tilted his head, his short, golden hair framing his face. He cupped my face, then inclined his neck so that his forehead was against mine.

"Flora," he whispered huskily, gripping the sides of my face gently. Everything for me was on edge. As if my entire body shut down, waiting to see what Wes would do next. I