(20) It Begins

💋

     "And sign here", Mat stated as he pointed at another space on the paper.

     I signed it and looked back at Mat, "Is that all?"

     Mat happily smiles and takes the papers so he could put it back inside his briefcase, "Yes, that's all."

     Mat, also known as Matthew Luca, has been an acquaintance of mine for almost 20 years now. Everything you want and need, Mat would be able to provide it for you. Well, unless you have the money to pay him for it.

     Currently we're in the office at my house, signing the papers for the expensive apartment that Mat was selling me about a year ago.

     I was buying the apartment for Julien. Because a few days ago, Julien was "assaulted" by dozens of men who were actually following orders from Julien's own brother. Julien, for some unfortunate reason, was actually a member of the gang, and Johnson and I suspect that his brother, and the other gang members, are here to take Julien since Julien just literally left the gang. So as a temporary solution, we decided to hide Julien while we figure out what those men really want from him (since Julien himself wouldn't tell us, or maybe because he too doesn't know about it either), and just generally wait for everything to settle down and go back to normal.

     "I have already transferred the money inside your account", I say as I placed the pen back on my necktie.

     "Thank you my dear friend, you're really saving my butt here", he suddenly tells me.

     "Don't tell me you got mixed up with loan sharks again", I say, and Mat just smirked, like he was proud about it.

     "Seriously, you never change", I tell him, making him chuckle.

     "Well we gotta survive this cruel world Val", he answered, and I just nodded my head as an understanding.

     Mat takes a sip from the coffee we served him, then he looks back at me and continued, "We grew up together you know, and we both left the family when things got...bad. You got lucky and built yourself an empire, while little-old Mat here became a...marketeer."

     I rested my back on my seat and answered him; "Well I didn't ask you to follow me when I left."

     "Are you kidding me? I was like an outcast in the Valentino family; you were the only Valentino there who treated me like a person. I know my father was a mere soldier to the family, but I just couldn't take how the others treated me", Mat honestly tells me, and the memories of him being pushed around by my "family" members resurfaced.

     Mat might act like it wasn't a big deal now, but the hurt in his eyes was obviously still visible.

     "Well, for what is worth...you were the only one who treated me like a person there too", I told him.

     Mat's eyes widened, probably surprised since I never really said anything sweet to him before.

     "Thanks Val, that means a lot", he says with a genuine smile.

     When the atmosphere suddenly became awkward, Mat quickly takes his fedora and wears it, "I think I should go. The apartment is ready for you so you could just go there any time."

     I looked at Mat but didn't answer him.

     I sighed and took my checkbook out of the drawer.

     "How much is your debt?" I asked him.

     Mat looked shock as he looked at me with confusion, "Pardon?"