The Rings Of Akhaten Pt. 3

Merry screams from inside the pyramid.

"Merry! Merry, hold on! We'll be there soon. Doctor? {Y/N}?" Clara asks.

"Yes, yes, yes, yes. Oh, hello" the Doctor says.

"Hello, what?"

"The sonic locked on to the acoustic tumblers."

"Meaning?"

"Meaning we get to do this" {Y/N} says, the door rises. The Doctor and {Y/N} seem to be pushing it via their sonic screwdrivers. They stand underneath it to hold it open.

"Hello there. I'm the Doctor this is {Y/N}, and you've met Clara. She was supposed to be having a nice day out. Still, it's early yet. Are you coming, then? Did we mention that the door is immensely heavy?" the Doctor says.

"Leave. You'll wake him" Merry says.

"Really quite extraordinarily heavy" {Y/N} says, the tow are pushed to their knees.

"Clara?" the Doctor says" Clara enters the Pyramid.

"Old God, never wake from slumber."

"Merry, we need to leave," Clara says.

"No. Go away."

"Not without you."

"You said I wouldn't get it wrong and then I got it wrong. And now this has happened. Look what happened!"

"You didn't get it wrong."

"How do you know? You don't know anything. You have to go! Go now, or he'll eat us all."

"Well, he's ugly. But you know, to be honest, I don't think he looks big enough" Clara says.

"Not our meat, our souls" Merry touches her temples and purple energy sticks Clara to the Mummy's glass box, with her back to the occupant "he doesn't want you. He wants me. If you don't leave, he'll eat you all up too."

"Yes, and you don't want that, do you? You want us to walk out of this really quite astonishingly heavy door and never come back" the Doctor says.

"Yes."

"I see. Right. Clara's right. Absolutely never going to happen" {Y/N} says, the Doctor and {Y/N} roll out from underneath the door, and grab their sonic screwdrivers before the door slams down upon them.

"Did you just lock us in with the soul-eating monster?" Clara asks.

"Yep" {Y/N} says popping the p.

"And is there actually a way to get out?"

"What? Before it eats our souls?" the Doctor asks.

"Ideally, yes."

"Possibly. Probably. There usually seems to be" the Doctor replies.

"{Y/N}, Doctor, why is he still singing?" Clara asks.

"Old God, rest your weary, holy head."

"He's trying to sing the Old God back to sleep" {Y/N} says.

"But that's not going to happen. He's waking up, mate. He's coming, ready or not. You want to run" the Doctor says, the Chorister stops chanting "that's it, then? Song's over?"

"The song is over. My name is Chorister Asbethix, and the Long Song ended with me" the Chorister touches a button on a bracelet, and he disappears.

"That's it, then. Song's over" the Doctor points his sonic at the Mummy and it roars "ah ha! Look at that."

"You've woken him!" Merry says.

"It's awake? What's it doing?" Clara asks.

"Oh, you know. Having a nice stretch" {Y/N} says, the Mummy is hammering on the glass trying to break out "no, we didn't wake him. And you didn't wake him, either. He's waking because it's his time to wake and feed. On you, apparently. On your stories."

"She didn't say stories. She said souls" Clara says.

"Same thing. The soul's made of stories, not atoms. Everything that ever happened to us. People we love, people we lost. People we found again against all the odds. He threatens to wake, they offer him a pure soul. The soul of the Queen of Years" {Y/N} says.

"Stop it. You're scaring her" Clara says.

"Good. She should be scared. She's sacrificing herself. She should know what that means. Do you know what it means, Merry?" the Doctor asks.

"A god chose me."

"It's not a god. It'll feed on your soul, but that doesn't make it a god. It is a vampire, and you don't need to give yourself to it. Hey, do you mind if I tell you a story? One you might not have heard. All the elements in your body were forged many, many millions of years ago, in the heart of a faraway star that exploded and died. That explosion scattered those elements across the desolations of deep space. After so, so many millions of years, these elements came together to form new stars and new planets. And on and on it went. The elements came together and burst apart, forming shoes and ships and sealing wax, and cabbages and kings. Until eventually, they came together to make you. You are unique in the universe. There is only one Merry Galel. And there will never be another. Getting rid of that existence isn't a sacrifice. It is a waste" {Y/N} says.

"So, if I don't, then everyone else..."

"Will be fine" {Y/N} says.

"How?"

"There's always a way."

"You promise?"

"Cross my hearts" Merry releases, Clara. The Mummy has broken a hole in the glass.

"Having a nice stretch?" the asteroid rumbles "something's coming."

"The Vigil."

"And what's the Vigil?" the Doctor asks.

"If the Queen of Years is unwilling to be feasted upon..." Merry trails off.

"Yes?"

"It's their job to feed her to Grandfather" a puff of black smoke, and the three robotic beings appear "I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

"Don't you dare" Clara says.

"Yeah, stay back. We're armed. With a screwdriver" the Doctor says as he and {Y/N} hold out their sonic screwdrivers out, the lead Vigil sends out an acoustic blast that knocks them out of their hands, then another that sends the Doctor somersaulting backwards, {Y/N} and Clara are also thrown against the wall. The Vigils lead Merry forward.

"Clara. Sonic" the Doctor says, Clara gets them both and throws them to the Doctor and {Y/N}. They set up a shield against the Vigil's weapon and Merry runs back to Clara.

"You know all the stories. You must know if there's another way out" Clara says.

"There's a tale. A secret song, the people of the temple knew this door."

"And the secret songs open the secret door? How does it go? Can you sing it?" Merry sings a series of notes and a door slides up in the wall just beyond the Vigils and the Mummy.

"Go!" the Doctor and {Y/N} shout, Clara and Merry run outside, the Doctor and {Y/N} struggle to keep the shield up as they make their way to the door Clara looks back to see the sonic shield fail, the two quickly run out.

"Doctor! {Y/N}!" Clara shouts, the Mummy breaks free of its glass prison. An energy beam fires at the sun.

"Where are you? Where are you?" the Vigils disappear. 

---

~Bread 🍞