Cold War Pt. 3

"Clara, {Y/N}, get out of there. Get out!" the Doctor shouts, he goes to run out of the room but the Captain puts a gun to the Doctor's head "now, I've never seen one do this before. Actually, I've never seen one out of its armour before" the Captain lowers his gun.

"Won't it be more vulnerable out of its shell?" the Professor asks.

"No, it will be more dangerous" he runs out "Clara? {Y/N}?" Clara and {Y/N} run to the door and start to open it. Then something whooshes past them and down the passageway.

"Clara! Clara! {Y/N}! {Y/N}!" the door opens and {Y/N} drags Clara out.

"I'm ok. Ha, ha! I'm okay. I'm okay! Where did he go?" Clara asks the Professor picks up an irregular pattern of beeps on his earphones "how did I do? Was I ok?"

"This wasn't a test, Clara" {Y/N} says.

"I know, but..."

"You were great, yeah" {Y/N} nods.

"Really?" Clara asks.

"Really," the Doctor says.

"Doctor? {Y/N}? The signal. It's stopped" the Professor says.

"Skaldak got no answer from his Martian brothers. Now he's given up hope" {Y/N} says.

"Hope of what?"

"Being rescued. He thinks he's been abandoned. He's got nothing left to lose" the Doctor says.

*Time skip*

"But what can he do, stuck down here like the rest of us? How bad can it be?" the Captain asks, as he, the Doctor, {Y/N} and Clara walk down a hall.

"This sub's stuffed with nuclear missiles, Zhukov. It's fat with them. What do you think Skaldak's going to do when he finds that out? How bad can it be? How bad can it be? It couldn't be any worse" the Doctor says, some tumbling rocks hit the submarine and water pours through a hatch. It gets closed quickly "ok. Spoke too soon" they all soon walk into the control room.

"Comrades, you know our situation. The reactor is drowned. We are totally reliant on battery power and our air is running out. Rescue is unlikely, but we still have a mission to fulfil. If the Doctor and {y/N} are right, then we are all that stands between this creature and the destruction of the world. Control of one missile is all he needs. We are expendable, comrades. Our world is not. I know I can rely on every one of you to do his duty without fail. That is all" Zhukov says.

"Even if a missile did get launched, that wouldn't be it, would it?" Clara asks.

"It?" {Y/N} asks.

"End of the world. Game over. I mean, what if they fired one by accident. What would happen then?" Clara asks.

"We told you, Clara. Earth is like a storm waiting to break, right now. Both sides baring their teeth, talking up war. It would only take one tiny spark" the Doctor says.

"Yeah, but the world didn't end in 1983, did it, or I wouldn't be here."

"New. History's in flux. It can be changed. Re-written" {Y/N} says, the crew are all armed with rifles.

"How many of us are left?" the Doctor asks.

"Twelve. And we can't find Stepashin" Zhukov says.

"We split up and comb this sub. One team stays here to guard the bridge" {Y/N} says.

"That's it? That's the plan?" Zhukov says.

"Well, it's either that or we stay here and wait for him to kill us" {Y/N} replies.

"Ok."

"Is it true you've never seen one outside of its shell suit?" Clara asks.

"Shell suit? Clara! For an Ice Warrior to leave its armour is the gravest dishonour. Skaldak is desperate. He is deadly and we have got to find him" the Doctor says.

"Will these help?" the Doctor and {Y/N} turn to see the Professor holding out their sonic screwdrivers.

"Ah! You saved them" the Doctor says.

"No, no, they were on the floor with this" the Professor holds out the Barbie doll. The Doctor takes it back and kisses it.

"Ah, Professor, I could kiss you," the Doctor says.

"If you insist."

"Later."

*Time skip*

"So, why have you got a cattle prod on a submarine?" Clara asks, {Y/N} and the Doctor are working on a small box of sorts.

"Polar bears," the Professor says.

"Ah, right."

"We run across them when we're drilling. Can be quite nasty, you know."

"I'd swap one for an Ice Warrior any day. Cuddlier."

"Courage, my dear. I always sing a song."

"What?"

"To keep my spirits up."

"Yeah, that would work, if this was Pinocchio."

"Really?" {Y/N} asks, the Doctor seems to have set off some alarms.

"Do you know Hungry Like The Wolf?" the Professor asks.

"What?" Clara asks.

"Duran Duran. One of my favourites. Come on."

"I'm not singing a song" the Doctor gets a hatch open and puts his head inside. They hear an echoing growl "what was that?"

"Pressure. Just pressure. We're seven hundred metres down, remember?" the Doctor says.

"Don't worry about it. Think of something else" the Professor says, he sings the opening phrase of the song "I am hungry like the wolf."

"I'm not singing" Clara replies.

"Don't you know it?"

"Course I know it. We do it at karaoke, the odd hen night."

"Karaoke? Hen night? You speak excellent Russian, my dear, but sometimes I don't understand a word you're talking about."

*Time skip*

The Doctor, {Y/N}, Clara and the Professor hear growls and screams and run towards them, they all gasp coming to a halt.

"Good God. Torn apart. It's a monster, a savage" the Professor says.

"No, Professor. Not savage. Forensic. Well, he's dismantled them. Skaldak's learning. Learning all about you. Your strengths, your weaknesses. Come on" {Y/N} says, they go down a passageway.

"Stay here," the Doctor says.

"Ok" Clara replies.

"Stay here. Don't argue."

"I'm not."

"Right. Good" he and {Y/N} go up a ladder.

"Oh, it's a young man's game, all this dashing about. Clara, what is it?" the Professor asks.

"I was doing ok. I mean, I went in there and I did the scary stuff, didn't I? I went in there with the Ice Warrior and it went ok. Actually, it went just about as badly as it could have done but that wasn't my fault."

"Not at all."

"So, I'm happy about that."

"Yes."

"Chuffed."

"And so, you should be. So, what's the matter?"

"Seeing those bodies back there. It's all got very real. Are we going to make it?"

"Yes, of course."

---

{Y/N} and the Doctor find a body.

"Oh, Stepashin," the Doctor says, they hear running feet above them.

"Oh, oh, oh. Fast. He's fast" {Y/N} says.

---

~Bread 🍞