The Husbands Of River Song Pt. 4

"So, what's the occasion?" the Doctor asks as the three sit at a table.

"I've got the diamond. Now it's time to sell it" River replies.

"I thought you were returning it to the Halassi?"

"Tell me, were you born boring, or did you have to work at it?"

"Where did you find a buyer?"

"Look around you. The starship Harmony And Redemption, minimum ticket price one billion credits, plus the provable murder of multiple innocent life forms. Suites are reserved for planet-burners" she takes a drink from a passing waiter "thank you. Even the staff are required to have a verifiable history of indiscriminate slaughter. This is where genocide comes to kick back and relax. Do try the fish."

*Time skip*

"Why are you frowning?" River asks not looking up.

"How did you know?" {Y/N} asks.

"It's audible."

"Deadlock seals can be broken."

"By geniuses. Hydroflax has a brain the size of a pea and it's currently under the table" she kicks the bag "he's gone back to sleep, I think."

"You married him, though."

"I told you, I married the diamond."

"How?"

"I posed as his nurse. Took me a week.

"To fall in love?" River is holding her TARDIS-styled Diary.

"It's the easiest lie you can tell a man. They'll automatically believe any story they're the hero of."

"River, there's er, there's something I should probably tell you."

"Doctor Song, your guest has docked. He should be with you in a very few minutes" a waitress says.

"Thank you. Whenever he's ready."

"Of course."

"What's the book?" {Y/N} asks.

"Oh, it's my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on a spaceship."

"Is it sad?"

"Why would a diary be sad?"

"I don't know. It's just that you look sad."

"It's nearly full."

"So?"

"The woman who gave me this was the sort of woman who'd know exactly how long a diary you were going to need."

"She sounds awful."

"I suppose she is. I've never really thought about it" River puts the diary back in her clutch purse.

"Not somebody special then?"

"No. But terribly useful every now and then."

"So, who is this buyer?" the Doctor asks.

"No idea, he just responded to the advert," River says as a shadow falls across their table. It is a bald man with a diagonal scar running around his face from the back of his skull, round across the right temple to below his left cheekbone. His voice is very hoarse.

"Which of you is Song?"

"Who wants to know?" the Doctor asks.

"I am Scratch."

"Don't need your name. Are you empowered to purchase?" River asks.

"I represent the Shoal of the Winter Harmony."