The Caretaker Pt. 5

*Danny's flat*

"What do you think? Say something" Clara says.

"So, there are two aliens, one that used to look like Adrian. Then he turned into a Scottish caretaker and every now and then, when I'm not looking, you elope with him.

"I don't elope."

"Do you love him?"

"No."

"Really had enough of the lies."

"Not in that way."

"What other way is there?"

"You know what I mean."

"I don't know what you mean. I know what you tell me, which isn't always the truth."

"Danny..."

"Why do you do it? Why do you fly off in the box with them? The truth. Please, just this once."

"Because it's amazing. Because I see wonders."

"Ok."

"What are you thinking?"

"That's a good question. It's funny, you only really know what someone thinks of you when you know what lies they've told you. I mean, you say you've seen wonders, you've seen amazing things, and you kept them secret from me. So, what do you think of me, Clara?"

"Please, tell me how I fix this."

"I just want to know who you are."

"You know who I am."

"When you're with them. When you're with the Doctor and {Y/N}." 

*Time skip*

Clara comes out of the storeroom with one of the invisibility watches.

"Ok, I think we've just got time before parents' evening" Clara whispers.

"An invisibility watch? Not even a ring" Danny puts it on.

"Press the button on the side, you're invisible. You'll see me with the Doctor and {YN}, the other me. The exactly the same other me. Ok?"

*TARDIS*

The Doctor is building a contraption with the help of {Y/N}.

"Afternoon. Thanks for keeping out of our way. You haven't brought Dave with you, I hope" the Doctor says.

"His name's Danny. And no, I haven't. I've er, I explained it all to him. He gets it. He took it really well" Clara says.

"Pass me that synestic" {Y/N} says, Clara does so.

"So, when the Blitzer comes back, are you going to catch him with that?"

"It'll be a long, fiddly job. It's going to take us at least twenty-four hours. Even longer if people keep talking to us, so do keep going" the Doctor says.

"If it comes back Thursday night, are you both sure about that? Cos, you said the Chronodyne is unstable."

"If you want to bother someone, go and bother PE," the Doctor says.

"He's a maths teacher."

"That's a shame, I like maths."

"Not a soldier."

"Interesting."

"What is?"

"I'm bored. Let's go somewhere fun. What do you say? Do you want to see the Thames frozen over? Oh, those frost fairs" the Doctor goes around the console, setting controls. Clara follows, returning them to neutral, {Y/N} looks around.

"But you can't. The Skovox thing."

"It's a time machine. We can get back straightaway like we always do on your dates. Just make sure you don't get yourself a tan or anything, or lose a limb."

"I don't think we should, not this time."

"You've never said no before. Not even in the middle of dinner. Remember when you had to eat two meals in a row?" {Y/N} asks.

"I just think, with the school in danger..." Danny turns off the watch "Danny, why are you?"

"They already know I'm here. That's why he's talking like that. He's being clever" Danny says.

"Now you mention it, being a Time Lord, I can feel a light shield aura when it's right next to me," the Doctor says.

"Oh ho, ho. Time Lord? Might have known."

"Might have known what?" the Doctor asks.

"Well, the accent's good, but you can always spot the aristocracy. It's in the... the attitude."

"Danny..." Clara warns.

"Now, Time Lords, do you salute those?"

"Definitely not."

"Ah. Sir!" Danny salutes.

"And you do not call me sir."

"As you wish, sir. Absolutely, sir."

"And you can get out of my TARDIS!"

"Immediately, sir."

"Doctor, this is stupid, this is unfair," Clara says, she looks over to {Y/N} who's expression is unreadable.

"One thing, Clara. I'm a soldier, guilty as charged. You see him? He's an officer. Bet she's the same as well."

"I am not an officer!"

"I'm the one who carries you out of the fire. He's the one who lights it."

"Out. Now" {Y/N} says, her tone calm but something more hidden beneath.

"Right away, ma'am. Straight now?"

"Yes."

"Am I dismissed?"

"Yes, you are!" the Doctor shouts.

"That's him. Look at him, right now. That's who he is" Danny leaves.

"On balance, I think that went quite well."

"Danny, it's not time to go home yet. It's parents' evening" Clara runs after Danny.

"Humans. I never learn" the Doctor says as he and {Y/N} walk out of the TARDIS.

"What's in the box? It's not really a policeman, is it?" Courtney asks.

"You want to know what's in that box? I'll tell you what's in that box. It's a time machine. It also travels in space. And it usually contains a man and a woman who just want to get on with their work of preventing the end of the world, but keep being interrupted by boring little humans."

"Cool. So, that's really a spaceship?" the Doctor pulls Courtney back from the TARDIS by her collar "I'm serious. We're trying to save this planet."

"End of the world for me tonight, whatever you do. Parents' evening."

"Is your name really Disruptive Influence?" {Y/N} asks.

"Courtney Woods. Can I go in space?"

"We'll let you know. We may have a vacancy. But not right now" the Doctor hustles Courtney out.

"Two days. we can do it" {Y/N} mutters.

*Time skip*

The teachers are laying out their tables in the gym.

"Right, are we quorate? Time to admit the hordes. And look who's at the front of the queue."

"Who are they?" Adrian asks.

"Courtney Woods' mum and dad" Clara responds.

"Can someone else do them first?"

"No problem, Ade. I can cope with anything tonight" Danny says.

"Oh, happy days" the principle opens the doors and lets the parents in. Meanwhile, in the School Theatre, a golden vortex appears and a chair is thrown out.

*TARDIS*

The Doctor is carrying his toolbox when the scanner beeps, {Y/N} walks over.

"No, no, no. No! No, no, no, no, no!" she says as she grabs the backpack close by and runs out followed by the Doctor.

---

~Bread 🍞