Before The Flood Pt. 1

"So, there's this man and woman. They have a time machine. Up and down history they go, zip zip zip zip zip, getting into scrapes. Another thing they have is a passion for the works of Ludwig van Beethoven. And one day they think, what's the point of having a time machine if you don't get to meet your heroes? So off they go to eighteenth century Germany. But they can't find Beethoven anywhere. No one's heard of him, not even his family have any idea who the time travellers are talking about. Beethoven literally doesn't exist. This didn't happen, by the way. We've met Beethoven. Nice chap. Very intense. Loved an arm-wrestle. No, this is called the Bootstrap Paradox. Google it. The time travellers panic. They can't bear the thought of a world without the music of Beethoven. Luckily, they'd brought all of his Beethoven sheet music for Ludwig to sign. So, they copy out all the concertos, and the symphonies and they get them published. They become Beethoven. And history continues with barely a feather ruffled. But my question is this. Who put those notes and phrases together? Who really composed Beethoven's Fifth?" {Y/N} has finished plugging in the electric guitar and plays a few notes.

---

{Y/N} and O'Donnell get out of the TARDIS to be met with a completely fake town, with Russian signs and cardboard cut-out people. The TARDIS has landed on the fake railway platform.

"Where's Bennett? We need to get going" {Y/N} says.

"Oh, he's still throwing up. One small step for man, one giant bleurgh."

"Oh, time travel does that sometimes.

"Somehow I doubt that Rose or Martha or Amy lost their breakfast on their first trip."

"You seem to know an awful lot about me and the Doctor."

"I used to be in military intelligence. I was demoted for dangling a colleague out of a window."

"In anger?"

"Is there another way to dangle someone out a window? What year are we in?" {Y/N} looks around.

"1980."

"So, pre-Harold Saxon. Pre-the Minister of War. Pre-the moon exploding and a big bat coming out."

"The Minister of War?"

"Yeah."

"No, never mind. I expect I'll find out soon enough" Bennett comes out of the TARDIS and closes the door.

"Sorry about that. Had a prawn sandwich. Might have been off."

"Ah ha. Don't worry. Shall we go?" {Y/N} asks.

"Just one sec, I've just got something in my boot," O'Donnell says, {Y/N} shrugs and walks away. O'Donnell jumps up and down in excitement "it's bigger on the inside, it's bigger on the inside, it's bigger on the inside. How can it be bigger on the inside, Bennett? Ok, let's roll." They soon catch up to {Y/N}, walking past fake shop fronts, a telephone box and a poster of Stalin.

"Why have we gone to Russia?" Bennett asks.

"Er, we haven't. We're still in Scotland. This is the town before it flooded. The TARDIS has brought us to when the spaceship first touched down. But here and now, it's the height of the Cold War. The military were being trained for offensives on Soviet soil" they find the spaceship with its rear ramp down, parked in front of the church. They go inside the spaceship. The missing stasis chamber is in place, and a wrapped mummy is lying on the other one.

"Oh, is that the pilot? My God, look at the size of it" O'Donnell says.

"No, that's the body" {Y/N} says, Bennett opens the floor hatch where the two power cells are.

"What do you mean, the body?" O'Donnell asks.

"This isn't just any spaceship. It's a hearse."

"The suspended animation chamber's still here, and the power cells for the engine," Bennett says.

"And there are no markings on the wall," O'Donnell says.

"Yet" {Y/N} replies, the undertaker runs to meet them as they walk down the ramp, carrying a briefcase and waving a large white handkerchief.

"Greetings!"

"It's him. That's the ghost from the Drum" O'Donnell says, the alien gets within an inch of {Y/N}'s nose, as if he is very short-sighted.

"Remarkable. Oh, and humans, too. Albar Prentis, Funeral Director" he hands out business cards. Albar Prentis Universal Funeral Director. May the remorse be with you. {Y/N} throws hers away.

"You're from Tivoli, aren't you?" Bennett asks.

"The most invaded planet in the galaxy! Our capital city has a sign saying, if you occupied us, you'd be home by now."

"Yes, I've had dealings with your lot before. I can't say I'm a fan" {Y/N} mutters.

"No, we do tend to antagonise" O'Donnell hears a noise and looks away briefly.

"What are you doing here?" {Y/N} asks.

"Ah, yes. Of course. This is the Fisher King. He and his armies invaded Tivoli and enslaved us for ten glorious years! Until we were liberated by the Arcateenians. But, thank the Gods, soon we'd irritated them so much, they enslaved us, too!"

"My first proper alien, and he's an idiot," Bennett says.

"And now, in accordance with Arcateenian custom, I've come to bury him on a barren, savage outpost."

"You mean the town?" O'Donnell asks.

"He means the planet" {Y/N} replies, Prentis runs back down the ramp to {Y/N} "although, at the risk of starting a bidding war, you could enslave me. In the ship, I have directions to my planet and a selection of items that you can oppress me with."

"Listen, we've come from the future. You're about to send some sort of signal. How do you do it? Is it a special pen?" {Y/N} asks.

"What are you talking about?"

"The technology you use. The thing that wrenches the soul out of the body and makes it repeat your coordinates for eternity. Give it to me now, I'm going to take the batteries out."

"We don't have anything like that. Even this belongs to the glorious Arcateenians."

"So, who sends the message?" Prentis sniffs at {Y/N}. They look up at the mummy on the slab.

"Back to the TARDIS. I need to talk to Clara and the Doctor."

---

Hey guys I just wanted to tell you all that I have a new book out, so if you like Supernatural and you like this book then go check it out :3

~Bread 🍞