The Mummy On The Orient Express Pt. 2

The Doctor is lying down on the bed while {Y/N} sits on the end of the bed reading. The Doctor flexes his fingers.

"It's nothing. Nothing. Definitely. Sure. Ninety-nine percent sure" the Doctor says.

"Really? Ninety-nine percent? That's quite high. Is that the figure you're sticking with?" {Y/N} replies.

"Ok, ok. Seventy-five."

"Well, that's jumped quite a bit. You've just lost twenty-four percent."

*Clara's sleeping compartment*

Clara is in her room, in silk pyjamas and making a phone call.

"A train in space? Sounds pretty cool" Danny replies.

"So, what are you saying? Just because they brought me somewhere cool, I shouldn't dump them?"

"Well, one, you can't dump them because you're not with them, and two, dumping them sounds a little-scorched earth, you still basically get on. I think you should just enjoy your space train. At least it's not dangerous."

"Yeah. It's pretty boring, really."

*Doctor and {Y/N}'s sleeping compartment*

"Because you know what this sounds like, don't you?" the Doctor asks.

"No, do tell me" {Y/N} replies.

"A mummy that only the victim can see."

"I was being rhetorical."

"I know exactly what this sounds like" the Doctor puts on his jacket, pulls {Y/N} up and they go out into the corridor. The two hesitate outside Clara's door, the Doctor nearly knocks, then they walk on. Clara comes out and knocks on the Doctor and {Y/N}'s door.

"Doctor, {Y/N}, are you awake?"

*Engineer's carriage*

There are computer screens above a workbench, blueprints on a table and racks of tools. The Doctor finds a piece of equipment bubbling to itself. He removes the plastic wrapping and scans it with his screwdriver. The Chief Engineer startles him.

"Beautiful bit of kit, isn't it, sir? The Excelsior Life Extender. It's like driving around in a portable hospital" the man is holding a heavy piece of metal.

"Yes, well, it didn't do Mrs Pitt much good, did it?"

"Got me there, sir. Certainly, got me there. Maybe it malfunctioned."

"Oh, I don't think so. The records show that the machine did everything it could to keep her alive" {Y/N} says her eyes squinted.

"Yeah. And almost drained the battery doing it."

"What do you know?" the Doctor asks.

"Well, I know that when I find a man fiddling with a chair that someone died in, it's best to play my cards close to my chest."

"Really? Well, we know that when we find a man loitering near a chair that someone died in, we do just the same."

"Perkins. Chief Engineer."

"The Doctor, this is {Y/N}. Nosey Parkers."

"Pleased to meet you, Doctor, {Y/N}" Perkins chuckles as they all shake hands "course, there's a rumour that someone or something else might be responsible."

*Corridor*

Clara has got dressed and come out of her sleeping compartment again. She sees Miss Pitt walking along in her pyjamas and holding her right shoe in her hand, Clara follows her.

"Hello? Are you ok? Hello? Excuse me? Excuse me? Miss Pitt, wasn't it? Are you all right? Do you need some help?"

"My name's Maisie. I'm not mad."

"Oh, ok. Er, I didn't say you were, but you've had a bad day. I think anybody could do with a little bit of help after a day like today" Maisie addresses the panel next to a heavy door at the end of the baggage car.

"Computer, open the door."

"Call me Gus. I'm afraid this door can only be opened by executive order" the thumbs down icon makes a sad noise.

"Are you ok?" Clara asks, Maisie cries as she tries pressing buttons on the keypad.

"They won't let me see her body. They should let me see her body, shouldn't they?"

"Er, yeah, I should think so. It's in there, is it? Ok, I have two friends who are really good with locks. Do you want to come with me, see if we can find them?"

"Oh!" Maisie slams the heel of her shoe into the door keypad and shorts it out. The icon changes to a telescope on a tripod, then the thumbs down, cannot make up its mind. The door opens.

"Or you could do that because that works, too" Clara follows Maisie into the room and the door closes behind them.

*Lounge*

The Doctor and {Y/N} walk up to a man with a thin moustache who is reading a book, the Doctor points at him.

"What's the most interesting thing about the Foretold?"

"I'm terribly sorry, I don't believe we've met."

"You know. The Foretold. Mythical mummy. Legend has it that if you see it, you're a dead man.

"Yes, I know what it is. You see, I happen to be"

"Emil Moorhouse, professor of alien mythology. I'm {Y/N} this is the Doctor. Pleased to meet you. So, the most interesting thing about the Foretold. Go" {Y/N} and the Doctor sit down on the other side of Moorhouse's small table.

"Er, well, it would have to be the time limit given before it kills you. I can't think of another myth where it's so specific. How does it go? Er, The number of evil twice over. They that bear the Foretold's stare have sixty-six seconds to live."

"No, no, no. Nice try. Very atmospheric. But that's not it. Try again" the Doctor says.

"A cynical man might say that you were trying to pump me for information."

"The myth of the Foretold first appeared over five thousand years ago. In some stories, there is a riddle or secret word that is supposed to make it stop. Some characters try to bargain with it, offer riches, confess sins. All to no avail" {Y/N} says, the Doctor opens the silver cigarette case he has taken from his jacket pocket and offers the Professor a jelly baby.

"Well, you certainly know a little mythology."

"I know a lot. Because, from time to time, it turns out to be true."

"But that's the great appeal, isn't it? Earth legends are such dry, dusty affairs, and always fiction. But up here, in the stars, anything's possible. That's why I chose this field, to be honest. Hoping one day I might meet a real monster."

"Isn't that everyone's dream? But you still haven't answered our riddle. What's the most interesting thing about the Foretold?" the Doctor asks.

"Well, you can't run from it, that's for sure. There are accounts of people trying, but it never works. No matter how far you run, it's always right there behind you."

"Nope. Even colder."

"All right, I give up, you tell me."

"Mrs Pitt, the old woman who died."

"She died of old age. Nothing supernatural."

"No. That's my answer."

"Her death?"

"No. The fact that you were here to witness it" there is a commotion behind them.

"Excuse us, Professor" {Y/N} says as her and the Doctor get up.

---

~Bread 🍞