The Woman Who Lived Pt. 2

The Doctor and {Y/N} enter the dining room to see Ashildr.

"We read your journals. Why are there pages missing?" the Doctor asks.

"When things get really bad, I tear the memories out."

"What could be worse than losing your children?"

"I keep that entry to remind me not to have any more" she pokes a fire burning in a grate.

"We've left you alone too long. We had no idea how much you'd suffered. But we remember the person you used to be. She's still in there. We can help you find her."

"Spare me your pity, I'm fine."

"I think this is just another mask that you wear to protect you from the pain" {Y/N} says.

"I think the alternative frightens you, that this is who I've become."

"This is no way to live your life, de-sensitised to the world."

"So, you intend to fix me? Make me feel again, then run away? I don't need your help, {Y/N} and Doctor, you need mine. Just this once, you can't run off like you usually do."

"How do you know? How do you know what we usually do? We've met once in a Viking village. We didn't give you our life story" the Doctor says crossing his arms.

"It's true though, isn't it? You're the man and woman who run away."

"Oh, who told you that?"

"Maybe I just worked it out" Ashildr puts her pistols into her belt.

"Come on" they go out by the small door again, and the Doctor stops as he hears a faint growl.

*Time skip*

Ashildr, the Doctor and {Y/N} approach the rear of the house.

"Housebreaks can be tricky," Ashildr says.

"Not for us. Sonic technology. It should be able to deactivate any alarms" the Doctor says.

"What's an alarm?" she holds up a wanted flyer for The Knightmare "the most wanted in the land."

"Now is not the time to be showing off" the Doctor replies.

"Now seems like a very good time to me" she slides the paper under the door and uses a wire to push the key out of the lock and onto it, so she can slide the paper back outside and unlock the door with it. Then she holds out two masks to the Doctor and {Y/N}.

"You'll need a mask, sidekicks. Watch and learn."

"Brought our own, thanks" the Doctor and {Y/N} puts on their sonic sunglasses.

"'Tis black as night. I have a tinderbox somewhere" {Y/N} sonics a candle into lighting "show off. Know where you're going, do you?" Ashildr takes the candle from {Y/N} "the servant's stairs. Follow me.

"Why are you still alone? What happened to the second immortality charge we gave you?" the Doctor asks.

"Shh," she shows it to them "no one's good enough."

"Humans need..."

"Hush!" they wait for a light at the top of the stairs to disappear.

"Humans need shared experiences."

"I'm regretting sharing this one."

"It isn't right for you to be on your own!"

"Goodnight, Ma'am" the maid walks away without seeing them.