The Return Of Doctor Mysterio Pt. 3

"So, I'm a superhero now?" Grant asks sitting i between {Y/N} and the Doctor.

"Well, once the gemstone is gone from inside you, you'll be back to normal. It will pass" {Y/N} says.

"But how will it get out?"

"Like I said, it will pass. Looking forward to that."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course, I'm not sure. Nothing's ever sure. Just promise us one thing. For as long as you have these powers, you will never, ever use them."

"Sure.

*Time skip*

"Is this the right building? They all look the same from up there" Ghost says.

"Yeah. Yeah, this is me, thanks" Lucy says.

"Well, I certainly hope this unpleasant experience hasn't put you off a career in journalism."

"Oh, no, no, no, not at all" something beeps from a pouch in the Ghost's cape. He turns to check a baby monitor.

"Sorry. Duty calls."

"Look at that. The Bat-Signal's an app now? What is it? Bank robbery? Hijack?"

"Er, something like that. Excuse me" he flies off.

"Go get 'em." The Ghost flies into his bedroom window does a Wonder Woman twirl to change into Grant, puts on his spectacles then discovers that the crib is empty. The Doctor is cradling the baby with {Y/N} beside him.

"With great power comes great responsibility. No man worthy of the title leaves a baby alone" the Doctor says.

"How did you find me?"

"We tracked the gemstone inside you" {Y/N} says, they go through to the main living area "your powers, they don't belong in this world. They're an anomaly. You promised us you'd never use them."

"May I take her?" Grant says gesturing to the baby.

"She's yours?" the Doctor asks.

"I'm hers. I'm her nanny."

"You're her nanny?" the Doctor asks handing the baby over.

"Yeah, her nanny. You got a problem with that?"

"No, no, it's just, well, ok, so you are a superhero and a nanny?"

"Well, you've got to make a buck somehow. I mean, you don't get paid for saving people."

"Oh, you don't have to tell us. Here you go, nice and warm. And tasty" Nardole says handing Grant a bottle of milk before spotting a toy "ooo, elephant."

"It's fine. It's a long-range baby-monitor. I can get back to this apartment quicker than most people can get to their kids' bedrooms" Grant says.

"Grant, Grant, this is insane. Look, I'm me, the Doctor, and even I think this is insane" the Doctor says waving his hands about.

"Even him" Nardole adds.

"I can cope," Grant says.

"Of course, you can't. When do you sleep? When are you not on call? How complicated do you need your life to be?" the Doctor asks, the apartment door opens and closes.

"Well, not as complicated as it's about to get. Er, we're in here, Mrs Lombard" Grant calls.

"Oh, Jennifer, look at you, up again? Don't you ever sleep?" Lucy asks.

"Did you have a good evening, Mrs Lombard?"

"Oh, it was work. Why would it be good?"

"Well, I don't know, you seem a little buzzed. I thought maybe you'd met someone."

"Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. Grant..." Lucy spots the Doctor, {Y/N} and Nardole "what are you doing here?"

"We could ask you the same question. But it's your apartment, so we probably won't" Nardole says.

"Well, we, we, we, we were worried about you. We wanted to make sure that you were all right, so, er, we followed you" {Y/N} says.

"You followed me and got here first?"

"Well, that's just a measure of our concern."

"Very concerned" Nardole adds.

"They said they knew you. I let them in" Grant says.

"We met tonight. We need to talk, you and me" Lucy says,

"Oh! Did something happen?"

"Nothing for you to worry your pretty little head about. I'll put her to bed."

"I can do that."

"No, it's ok, I want to" Lucy leaves them.

"Lombard's her married name. He ran off when the baby came along."

"Lucy. Of course," the Doctor says.

---

Grant is sitting on a bench staring at the floor as other students go by

"Hey" Grant sees {Y/N} sitting next to him out of the corner of his eye.

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm your relief algebra teacher. Thought I'd check in on you and see how you're coping."

"Well, it hasn't passed, if that's what you want to know."

"I think that it's a part of your DNA now. It's bonded with you. I'm sorry. Why aren't you looking at me?"

"I don't want to."

"You're not looking at anyone. Are you shy now? Is that floor really interesting?"

"I'm not shy. I just can't stop it."

"Can't stop what?"

"The X-ray vision."

"Oh."

"I'm in hell. Naked hell. I just can't look at people."

"It's the gemstone, responding to puberty."

"Hey, Grant!"

"Hey, Lucy!"

"You really like her, don't you?" {Y/N} asks.

"I have X-ray eyes. I like everyone."

"But Lucy is your favourite."

"Who says?" {Y/N} gently pulls him down from halfway up the wall.

---

"A couple of years after high school, I ran into her again. She even remembered me" Grant says as he and {Y/N} sit on the fire escape.

"Oh, that was lucky."

"And I was with my best friend at the time, and she couldn't take her eyes off him."

"Ok."

"Love at first sight."

"Right."

"Then marriage, then a baby, and then he ran off with someone else."

"Leaving, I suppose, the field open for you to move in."

"Yeah."

"And care for the child she'd had by another man."

"Yeah."

"So, she could keep working and possibly date other friends of yours."

"Pretty much."

"You tiger. Thank you!"

"Who are you thanking?" Grant asks, {Y/N} chuckles.

"The universe. There's somebody worse at this than me" fire engines roar past with a police escort. Grant hands {Y/N} his spectacles.

"Excuse me" with that Grant flies off, suddenly there's a squeak, turning around {Y/N} spots Lucy.

"This is Mister Huffle. Mister Huffle feels pain" she squeezes the toy with the tufty hair and it squeals "meet me in the kitchen."

---

~Bread 🍞