In The Forest Of The Night Pt. 4

Maebh arrives at cobweb-festooned small trees surrounding a circular open area, with two deckchairs and a Union Flag in the background. The low sun through the trees is beautiful. They catch up to her.

"Miss? What is it, miss?" Ruby asks.

"It's coming. It's coming for everyone, and I can't un-think it" Maebh says.

"Maebh. Maebh, this forest is communicating. With you. Nobody else. No technology can hear what it's saying, but you can. Tell us what it wants. Where it came from. Just tell me who did this" {Y/N} says.

"It was me. I did this. I did these trees."

"No, Maebh. You didn't make a global forest appear overnight. How could you do that?" {Y/N} asks.

"Thoughts come to me. Ever since Annabel went missing, I look for her everywhere. I don't find her, but I find thoughts. The big forest was one. I thought everyone would love it. The thoughts! The thoughts! They go so fast."

"This is stressing me now. When I get stressed, I forget my anger management" Bradley says.

"Maebh, can you see something that we can't see?" Clara asks.

"Nearly. Too fast. Everywhere."

"Everything's subject to gravity. If I can create a little local increase" {Y/N} brandishes her sonic screwdriver.

"No. You're not experimenting on..." Danny is cut off by, golden dancing points of light appear around Maebh's head.

"They're lovely! They don't like it when you're holding them. They want you to let them go" Maebh says.

"Who are they?" {Y/N} asks.

"We are Here. Here, always, since the beginning and until the end."

"Here? That's it?" the Here have a very deep voice that drowns out Maebh's higher pitched one.

"We are the green shoots that grow between the cracks, the grass that grows over the mass graves. After your wars are over, we will still be Here. We are the life that prevails."

"Why now? Why are you here now?"

"We hear the call and we come, as we came before to the great North Forest, where we lie still in a great circle. As we came to the vast Southern Forest."

"Who is calling you now?"

"The sun that creates. The sun that destroys. You are hurting us. Let us go."

"You sent for me and the Doctor. The girl came looking for us. Why? Why us?"

"We did not send. Pain. Did not send for you. We don't know you. We were here before you and will be here after you" {Y/N} turns off her screwdriver.

"That was actually quite cool" Maebh falls to her knees. Danny, {Y/N} and the Doctor go to her.

"Maebh, you came looking for the Doctor and {Y/N}. Think. Who sent you for them?" the Doctor asks.

"It was just a thought. It was just a thought that came. I think it came from Miss" Danny looks at Clara "they've gone. Why does everything have to go?" the Doctor and {Y/N} walk to the edge of the circle, and Clara goes to them.

"This really is going to happen, isn't it?" Clara asks.

"Stars implode. Planets grow cold. Catastrophe is the metabolism of the universe. We can fight monsters. We can't fight physics" {Y/N} explains.

"Why would trees want to kill us? We love trees."

"You've been chopping them down for furniture for centuries. If that's love, no wonder they're calling down fire from the heavens" the Doctor replies.

"But we saw the future. Lots of futures. Earth's futures."

"They're about to be erased."

"If you two can't save them all, save who you can. The TARDIS. It's a lifeboat, isn't it? Not everybody has to die" the big solar flare forms. Meanwhile, Danny leads his team back to Trafalgar Square, singing.

"Everywhere we go-o-o!"

"People wanna kno-o-ow!"

"Who we a-a-re."

"Who we a-a-re."

"We are the Coal Hill Gifted and Talented."

*Time skip*

The TARDIS is disappearing underneath ivy.

"Right, come on, team" Danny says, they pull at the greenery.

"When they're done, you two need to get in your box and go," Clara says.

"We're all going. We're taking the kids" the Doctor says.

"Taking them where? What are you going to do with them? Leave them on an asteroid? Find a space academy for the gifted and talented? They just want their mums and dads, and they're never going to stop wanting them."

"We can save you and Danny."

"Danny Pink will never leave those kids so long as he is breathing" the door is uncovered. The children cheer.

"Come on, team," Danny says.

"Can we take another selfie, sir?" Bradley asks.

"Of course. Come on, then."

"Yes!"

"We can save you" {Y/N} whispers.

"I don't want you to."

"What, you don't want to live?"

"Of course, I want to live. I just."

"What?"

"Don't make me say it."

"Say what?"

"I don't want to be the last of my kind."

"Then why did you bring us all here?" the Doctor asks.

"Because it's the only way to get you two back to the TARDIS, make you think you're saving someone. Well, you know what, Doctor and {Y/N}? This time, the human race is saving you" Clara unlocks the TARDIS door "make it worthwhile."

"This is our world, too. We walk your earth, we breathe your air" {Y/N} says.

"And on behalf of this world, you're very welcome. Now, go. Save the next one."

"Maebh. We're sorry that we couldn't help you" {Y/N} says looking down at her.

"You helped me loads. I thought it was all my fault. I feel much better now. Are you two going to get rid of the forest?"

"Hard to get rid of a flame-proof forest, Maebh, eh? Come on" Clara and Maebh join Danny and the boys at the lion. The Doctor and {Y/N} go into the TARDIS while a boy tries to read the news headlines on his phone.

"Government crews have been deployed with the latest defo, deefoo...' Danny takes his phone and reads.

"Defoliant agents, Samson. They're used to take the leaves off the trees so they're easier to burn."

"That's harsh," Bradley says, the TARDIS engines start "where are they going?"

"Home. They're going home. Which is exactly where we're going" Clara says. In the TARDIS the Doctor looks at the growing solar flare on the scanner.

"Flame-proof forest. Flame-proof forest. A thousand atom bombs and no one hurt" {Y/N} says.

"I am the Doctor, Idiot!" the Doctor says.

---

~Bread 🍞