Deep Breath Pt. 2

*Vastra's chamber*

Vastra is sitting in her peacock chair.

"And then?" Vastra asks.

"Why are you wearing your veil?" Clara asks.

"And then?"

"And then we got swallowed by a big dinosaur. You probably noticed."

"How did it happen?" Jenny asks.

"I don't know. I don't know. We were crashing about everywhere. The Doctor was gone. The TARDIS went haywire. We were supposed to be coming for {Y/N}."

"He's not gone. He's upstairs, with {Y/N}" Jenny says.

"Ok, he changed," Clara says.

"He regenerated. Renewed himself" Vastra says.

"Renewed. Fine."

"Such a cynical smile."

"I'm not smiling."

"Not outwardly. But I'm accustomed to seeing through a veil. How have I amused you?"

"You said renewed. He doesn't. He doesn't look renewed. He looks older, {Y/N} looks a bit older as well."

"You thought they were young?"

"They looked young."

"He looked like your dashing young gentleman friend and {Y/N} your young female friend, your lover, even."

"Shut up!"

"But he is the Doctor and she is {Y/N}. They have walked this universe for centuries untold, they have seen stars fall to dust. You might as well flirt with a mountain range."

"I did not flirt with her."

"She flirted with you."

"How?"

"They both looked young. Who do you think that was for?"

"Me?"

"Everyone. I wear a veil as they wore a face for the same reason."

"What reason?"

"The oldest reason there is for anything. To be accepted" up in the guest bedroom, {Y/N} sits on a chair when the Doctor wakes and sniffs the air. He gets out of bed and crawls around on the carpet, sniffing, {Y/N} raises an eyebrow. The Doctor goes to the radiator and finds a piece of chalk which he uses to make marks on it "Jenny and I are married. Yet for appearance's sake, we maintain a pretence, in public, that she is my maid."

"Doesn't exactly explain why I'm pouring tea in private" Jenny replies.

"Hush now."

"Good pretence, isn't it?"

"I wear a veil to keep from view what many are pleased to call my disfigurement. I do not wear it as a courtesy to such people, but as a judgment on the quality of their hearts."

"Are you judging me?" Clara asks.

"The Doctor regenerated in your presence. The young man disappeared, the veil lifted. He trusted you. Are you judging him?"

"How dare you. How dare you."

*Guest bedroom*

The Doctor is writing on the floorboards, {Y/N} is now sitting on the bed with her arms crossed. The Doctor stands when they hear the dinosaur, he goes to the door and opens it.

"Door. Boring. Not me" he grabs {Y/N}'s hand goes to the window and opens it.

"Me!"

*Vastra's chamber*