Chapter 19

Jason's POV

May decided to wait to go in the house, and by wait I think she meant I'll go in and scare you. So I'm going to watch my back.

I open the door, which was surprisingly unlocked, and go straight to my bedroom. I realize that I may never see this house again. This is the house I've lived in all my life.

I looked around my room, and I see one of my old hats. I remember getting this hat when I was 12.

~ Flashback Time ~

I was walking home from school with Adam, when this man came up to us. "Excuse me boys," he said in a raspy voice, "but could I talk to you for a moment?"

Adam and I looked at each other in shock. Our parents told us to never talk to strangers, but there was something about this man, so -like any smart people would do - we talked to him. "Now, Jason-" I immediately cut him off. "How do you know my name?" it takes him a minute to answer.

"You don't need to know how. Now listen, I know that I did something really stupid to you, and I'm sorry. You need to know that I never meant to hurt you or your mother." I stare at him in shock. I look at Adam. "Hey man, I think you should go. I'll catch up." he nods and leave. But I see him him in a bush with his hand on his phone, classic Adam. "Look, I know this won't make up for it, but here." I look down at what he gave me.

It was a hat the said 'Space 8' in blue with a black background. "Thanks!" I don't know why, but I hug him. "Dad, Where are you going to be?" he tries to answer, but a car came and grabbed him.

I put the hat on my head and walked over to Adam.

~ The flashback is over because it is ~

I smile and put the hat in the bag. I take some other things, like more hats, clothes, the secret jar of candy that I hid, and the tee shirt that May gave me to when she was 7. I felt myself tearing up, and I wipe them away.

I felt someone come from behind and hug me. "Jason, let's go."