prologue

Pennsylvania          April 1923

          Pennsylvania
          April 1923

The forest was shining with the last light of the day. Tea heaved a heavy sigh as she reluctantly began climbing down from the enormous oak tree.

She had to be back before dark or her father would punish her severely. He didn't have tolerance for disobedience... That's what he always said, and Tea knew the consequences.

Gathering up her dress from around her ankles, she trudged through the underbrush and tried to maneuver around the tickets and brush, with no such luck. The clothe still picked up a few thorns here and there, but she didn't mind.

As she got closer to her home she heard it. A soft rustling sound. The noise drew the girl's interest, pushing her away from her main course as she drew nearer to it.

Curiosity sparked inside Tea when it grew louder as she drew nearer.

Suddenly a delicious smell overpowered her, making her stop in her tracks. Tea inhaled again, the honey and hickory scent causing her to go dizzy with pleasure.

A smile erupted at the corner of her lips.

Before she knew what she was doing, she rushed forward. Straight to the owner of the maddening fragrance.

An angelic looking willow tree met her search, along with a figure bending over the side. His mocha colored hands collecting mushrooms at the base of the bark. The mess of waves on top of his head suddenly shook as the man's body stiffened.

The head of the stranger whipped around quickly, chocolate eyes meeting Tea's. She shivered at the look in those deep irises, he seemed awestruck.

"Mine." He breathed, his creamy lips twitching upwards. Tea tilted her head to the side in confusion as the guy got closer, easily a head taller than her.

     He was her one true mate.

     The creator of all mythical creatures, the Moon Goddess, granted each of her children with an eternal companion. Some waited years to find their mate.

"We are mates, little lycan. What is your name?" He asked in a thick accent, each syllable spilling across his tongue.

She also noticed that his left ear was missing the top half as if someone had hacked off a chunk of it. Instead of hiding it with his unruly waves of hair, he seemed to display it without a second thought.

He grabbed at Tea's hand and gripped it in his. She smiled jubilantly, all the radiance of a star in her expression. Mates. She knew she had a mate somewhere, but never did she expect to find him at 17 years old.. or that he would be a werewolf.

     Werewolves were weak compared to her kind. Lycans were rare, powerful creatures who lived forever.

"Tea, but, uh, that's not my real name. I hate my given name. My Grammy use to call me Teacup, so I go by Tea instead." Her mate grinned at the revelation, his long fingers playing with her neon blue painted nails.