51 ❀ Thin ice

Ezra POV

Ezra POV

The light sound of snowflakes falling is the only thing I can focus on. They flutter around in tiny flurries, attaching to any surface they can find. It's a beautiful thing to see on such a terrible night.

There's not a single drop of blood left where she once stood moments ago. I stare at that one place long and hard as if she'll reappear at any second. I pray that those words will be erased from my brain. She had said them with such conviction.

Maybe I was imagining them? Maybe I misheard her?

Little brother.

To my knowledge, I'm just an only child.

There's also the fact the The Red Alpha is a certifiable looney. She could've been messing with my head. She could've been trying to tie me up in knots.

And yet, something in the back of my head know that there is truth to what she uttered mere moments ago.

Can it be true? Can I be related to something so fully evil and demented? The proof is in the pudding. Our features were so similar I felt as though I was looking in some sort of fun house mirror.

She looked like me. She knew my name. How could she be lying when it's so blatantly obvious?

All I want is to chase after her and demand answers, strap her to a chair and torture the information out of her. But I can't.

She could be dead already.

The Red Alpha still has a chunk of silver in her cold, black heart. I'm surprised she didn't die on the spot. She is a lycan after all, but not a fully mature lycan. I don't know how she has lived all these years without ever fully maturing. No wonder she didn't shift during our fight. She wasn't able to.

I stand there for a long while. The snow under my thick paws os past melted, the dirt underneath turning to mud.

I stay in that place so long, trapped in my own thoughts, that I've forgotten I'm not alone. Alpha Veiler steps forward slowly. His reproachfulness is his way of making sure he doesn't startle me. I shift my head over to stare at him.

His enormous figure towers over me. Those creepy red eyes are like beacons in the dark world. His ears twitch and those eyes narrow at me. He's watching me, waiting to see what exactly I'll do. It's as if he's waiting for me to breakdown. He's testing me. The Alpha of Alphas is scrutinizing me.

I glance once again at the broken sword between my paws. What happened minutes back seems like it was an eternity ago. I can't fathom time right now. There is too much shock.

If I'm not careful, that shock will consume me.

Alpha Veiler's gaze stays glued to me. He's observing me under pressure, seeing if the candidate he chose for his Gamma is mentally stable.