10 ❀ Optimism

Klepto POV    

      Klepto POV    

     "Something obviously seems to be bothering you." Doctor Paullini observers, and he is 100% correct on that one. Maybe he can read my mind, or maybe he's just a really good guesser.

     Something is bothering me. I stare at my converse for what seems like forever before I finally open my mouth.

     "What happens when your mate rejects you?" I ask, and Paullini's shock ripples through the air. That's not what he was expecting me to say, that's for sure.

     "Well, um." He sputters, trying to get a grip on his thoughts, "Typically the wolf finds someone else to settle down with. Maybe with someone who was also rejected or maybe their mate passed away. There are plenty of opportunities, but that's a very rare thing to happen, of course."

     I had the sinking feeling that if Ezra did reject me, I wouldn't have another go at the whole mate thing.

     No guy wants touch me with a 50 foot pole, so why would someone mate with me without that magnetic pull ? There isn't any reason to give the reject girl a second glance. That's the way it's always been, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

     "Klepto." Snapping my head up, I try focus on my wonderful therapist.

     Paullini's hazy eyes observe me behind his half circle glasses. He seems completely hyper aware of things, maybe too aware. It sets me on edge. I fidget in my chair.

     "Yes?" I reply, trying not to remember Ezra. The way he grasped my wrist, the way his eyes glowed like a daffodil in spring.

     "Did you... meet your mate?" He pries, and I gulp down the growing bulb in my throat. I am just trying not to remember my freaking mate, now I'm regretting bringing up the subject in the first place. What did I honestly think was going to happen?

     "Maybe I'm just curious. Or have a theory about my future." I shrug, trying to seem nonchalant, but my chest is compressed to the limit. I think it might explode. A thousand thoughts and emotions bubble up inside of me, ready to boil over the edge and out of my mouth before I can put a lid on it.

     All I want to do is flee depressing place and find Ezra, grab him, and kiss him silly. That would just scream "Please mate with me even though I'm coo-coo!".

     Yeah, that would go over well.

     Paullini lets out a frustrated sigh, he pinches the bridge of his nose between his fingers, his hands slightly tanner than his face. He has a light sprinkle of blonde stubble lining his thin face.

     "How many times do I need to tell you, Klepto. Keep your head up, an optimistic person is a happy person." He demands, and I clench my jaw. I'm gradually becoming pissed. This is too much for me.