57 ❀ Small talk

Ezra POV

Ezra POV

The trees seem to go on forever and ever. Their dark green branches are dusted in mounds of snow, the pine needles holding tight to the white powder.

I clutch my hands tightly in my lap as we near our destination with a quickness that settles in my gut like an anvil in one of those old cartoons.

Klepto whistles a tune beside me. Her pretty head rests on my shoulder, relaxed. Ever since she settled things with her mother, she's been at ease. She' finally looking forward.

As am I, but I'm still nervous. Anxious.

The past few days have been filled to the brim with packing. It's been a whirlwind of preparations that had to be made before we left the Green Pack.

Only days ago I remember slamming shut the trunk of the Suburban and clambering into the car with a heavy dose of relief and fear. This is our new life coming around the corner.

It's a strange, new sensation to have two perfectly opposite emotions wrestling in your mind, each trying to get on top and come out as the victor.

Relief is easy enough to understand. We are out of that pack after all of this time. They have an Alpha, they're still recovering nicely enough from the attack, and I have my wonderful mate swept up in my arms as the vehicle rushes us away from her more than traumatic childhood.

The fear is a different story completely.

The Red Alpha will not flee my thoughts. She's a constant companion to my subconscious, poking and prodding my brain like an itch I can't scratch through my skull.

Little brother.

I shiver. Klepto glances up at me and then snuggles closer as if she senses my unease. I sigh and run my fingertips through her black tendrils that fall down my arm.

And of course I have a steaming pile of guilt over not telling my lovely mate about the event. She knows I'd fought the Red Alpha of course, knew that the villain was pierced by silver and most likely dead by now.

Most likely. That's the catch, isn't it? I don't even want to consider the idea that she's still alive somewhere.

What Klepto doesn't know is that the Red Alpha knows me, knows how to get to me. And the fact that she might be my older sister. A long lost sibling that I never knew I'd lost in the first place.

Then there's the dream of my mother on top of it all.

How do I tell my mate about something as complicated as that?

I look down at her face and I immediately know why. It's because I don't want her to worry. There is already so much to worry about with everything she's going through, why add this to that load?