48 ❀ Yin vs Yang

Ezra POV

           Ezra POV

     After the deep lull of the alarms sound, everything starts to happen fast.

    I pull away from Klepto. My fangs retract into my gums and I sniff the cool air deeply, trying to sense any danger as my brain goes haywire.

     My head whips around, eyes blazing as they seek out my team in the audience. All of them look the same as I feel, completely shocked and on alert at the flip of a switch. Each of them stands and looks to me.

     As if on impulse I'm staring at Alpha Veiler like he's already in charge of me, already my leader and commander. His face is, as usual, steely cold and unbothered. I wait for his command. I can practically see him thinking out the situation.

     While he decides the game plan, I am taking control.

    "What do we do?" I turn to look down at my beautiful mate, still dolled up to perfection. Her gray eyes are brimming with anxiety, questions.

     She's scared.

     Her words tremble slightly, I can see that she's trying to cover it up and act brave, but she has every right to be worried. I certainly am.

     "Don't worry, sweetie. It will be alright." I assure her as my thumb gently brushes her cheek. I don't know that for sure, of course, but I know that one of us needs to remain calm. Once I can tell she's settled down a little bit, I redirect my attention to my team.

     "Reid, take Klepto and Stacey to the bunkers." I say and Reid nods, taking his mate's hand in his. For once Stacy is silent at his side and I can tell she's frightened as well.

     "What!? You can't just send me there, I want to help, you" Klepto speaks up, her tone not happy at all. Despite the fact that I just promised to make sure she's always happy, her safety comes first and foremost, or there would be no Klepto for me to keep happy.

     "You'll help by staying out of the way." I tell her, and I see her spirits drop, lips parting in pain. My fingers grip her chin in my hand and get her to look at me square in the eyes. "You can fight, believe me, but you're needed at the bunker. If anything there goes wrong there, you need to be there to protect the weak."

     Her eyes fill with understanding, and she reluctantly nods her head with a new, harsh tilt to her jaw.

     "Be careful. Please." She says with determination. I lean down and kiss her hard, pulling her close against me. She tastes so sweet, so good. She is everything to me, and I realize that now. I will do anything to make sure she is taken care of.

     Why did this all have to happen in the middle of our marking ceremony?

     When we seperate, I give her a grim smile and a short nod, a vow that I will do everything in my power to make it out of this alive.