32 ❀ Bring it on

Ezra POV

Ezra POV

     The sky is filled with gray clouds. They're thin and smoky, taking up the horizon with a vengeance. The things loom over my head, above the treetops, high in the air.

     It's my first day back on patrol, so it seems sort of fitting that the weather is parallel to my almost permanent mood.

     I'm keeping track of time, I don't know how long Klepto has been gone. A week, two? I'm not sure, but I feel her absence like a gaping hole in my heart.

     That overwhelming feeling makes all the days swirl together.

     The pack is quieting down about the whole "the freak got booted" situation.

      It seems to be a blessing, because anytime someone would say something awful about my mate, I would combust in a burning rage that overtook my insides, sizzling just under the surface. It was hard to restrain myself at times like that.

     My life is blissfully uneventful, absolutely nothing is happening. As I spend most of the days in the same way, the monotony appears to drag on.

     Every moment is boring and painful. Nothing exciting is going on in this pack, so I'm doomed to be useless.

     That was until Reid finally convinced me to get back to work, well, it was more like he dragged my resistant ass out here.

     Within a few minutes of being out here, I realized it helps to keep my mind off of things. So here I am, in this dreadfully overcast day, the sun hidden from view, white powder sprinkling down from the heavens above in light drifts every now and then.

     I spend several hours out here, I am alone and feel glad for it. I found that I prefer to be alone nowadays, finding comfort in the silence.

     Leaning against a dark-barked tree, I cross my legs at the ankles and clear my throat, listening to the soft sound of snowflakes landing.

     It's undeniably peaceful.

    Even after patrolling alone for a few hours, I'm not cold at all. Being a lycan, my body maintains its temperature well despite the weather.

     I can't say the same about Klepto, and it worries me that she's out there without a coat on. The mate bond makes me think about all of the crazy small details, anything that pertains to her safety, or her at all.

     Literally the air she breathes matters to me.

     It feels freeing to finally not continuing to pretend I couldn't care less about her. I don't have to try to convince myself she doesn't matter anymore because I've given in.

     Klepto does matter, and I care for her more than anyone else on this planet. Even now, I'm tempted to run into the forest, screaming her name until my throat is raw.