43 ❀ No

Ezra POV

Ezra POV

     The sirens ring out just as I make it to the pack border. My lungs freeze, useless to me in the wave of shock and horror. My head turns. The others on border patrol fulfill their roles perfectly.

     We are all under command to rush towards the threat and destroy it, help in eradicating the rogues, but I just can't.

     Because there is one single thought on my mind in this moment.

     Klepto.

     She informed just this morning that she wanted to spend the day with her brothers. They had a strong hold on her heart, and I won't deny her the joy they bring her, even if it is dangerous for her to be alone.

     My mind reasoned that nothing bad would happen. What are the chances that we would be attacked when we aren't together? Now that we are officially together, we're be joined at the hip 24/7.

     I'm kicking myself for those thoughts now.

     My brain goes haywire the second those alarms are set off. Why did I have to be such a dumbass all the time?

     The Green pack warriors area bit too excited for the fight, they take off down the strip, heading to the front lines in their wolf skins like it's second nature.

     Conflicting thoughts war inside me, battling to be obeyed. The decision is not an easy one.

     Duty, or love.

     I am commanded to protect the males of this pack, help defend the little wolf pack nestled in the woods, but my heart demands I ignore the call to action.

     My heart wants Klepto. I need Klepto.

     It seems like my mind is already made up on the matter, and I don't stop to try and second guess it. I just go with it. My feet have a mind of their own in that moment, I bolt through the forest like a rocket.

     I hope and pray to the Moon Goddess that I can find my mate. It makes sense that she would be at the safety bunker, if not I will probably freak out and try to strangle her if or when I do find her. I have to cross my fingers that she will be right where she's supposed to be.

     My body works on audiopilot, steering me where I need to go to find Klepto.

     It isn't long before I'm getting closer to the bunker. The pungent stink of fear and sweat soaks the wind and I cringe. The females and pups are cowering in terror while I abandon my post.

     But, somehow an urgency to get to her side overrules every other instinct inside of me.

     The noise of running makes me falter, and I see a dark furred rogue sprinting past me. It reeks of anxiety. As it passes I get a whiff of a sweet smell that is all too familiar.