36 ❀ Secret chef

Klepto POV

Klepto POV

"Everything seems to be in order." Dr.Polland concludes, clicking his blue, ballpoint pin in his hand. Dark, wispy hairs covering his knuckles.

He finally reaches over and carefully removes the IV from my wrist, holding an alcohol wipe to the puncture.

It stings a bit, and I focus instead on the raw looking scars on my wrist, a deadly reminder of the tightrope I'm walking by being here.

Ezra frequently reminds me that he will be beside me the whole way, that he will protect me from everyone. I'm still not certain on whether to believe him or not, I trust my mate as far as I can throw him.

He stands in the room as I'm being discharged, his friend Hyrum standing right next to him, plum eyes luminous in the otherwise bland room.

Whenever I make eye contact with Hyrum, I glance away quickly. Though he smiles and appears to be a nice guy, he intimidates me, and I don't like him looking at me. His scrutiny makes me overly aware of my every movement.

"Just be sure to take it easy, the silver is out of your system, and the wound has healed, but you can never be too careful." He says, and I nod.

"Thanks, doc." I run a finger absently at the place where the IV use to be imbedded in my skin, the spot covered in gauze.

Ezra hands me a pair of clothes that I don't bother to look through before heading into the bathroom for a quick change.

The pale hospital gown is dotted with little navy spots, I stare at the pattern as I peel the thin fabric off of my body.

I have too many nerves to think straight right now.

I don't know what will happen after I leave the doctor, I never asked Ezra here he plans on taking me now that I've agreed to staying here.

I can only hope that he doesn't make me stay in that attic again.

To my surprise, the clothes given to me are oversized guys clothes, one whiff and I know exactly to whom they belong. I roll my eyes. I guess Ezra really is serious about me being his mate if he wants to parade me around saturated in his scent.

I haven't agreed to this whole thing, and yet he is already going full caveman.

Reluctantly, I pull the clothes on, from the enormous t-shirt down to the plush black socks. When I'm done, I look up to stare at myself in the mirror.

The weeks of being a rogue have made me drop some weight, but I'm still full figured. My cheeks may look a bit hollow, but I don't look all that different than when I left, other than the new look of determination simmering in my gaze, a stubborn clench to my jaw.

I feel like I've been reborn, and in some strange sort of way, I am.

I shuffle out of the bathroom, glancing around cautiously at my surroundings. Though the woods gave me a new sense of confidence, I'm still wary in this territory.