16 ❀ Too endearing

Ezra POV    

          Ezra POV

     It's been 3 days since the incident. The day my mate was found laying helpless in the woods, beaten to a bloody pulp and left to rot.

     3 days since our argument among the trees. I still remember the sweet scent of her on the air as she stood yards away from me, her back stiff as a board, her posture firm in her pride.

     Spotting her around the pack grounds has been tough, every time my eyes touched her face I felt a ripple of energy pass through me, shaking my serene countenance and causing a burning to linger in my chest. I would dodge her any change I got.

     Every night I sneak away, if only for a few short hours, running through the wilderness as my other half. My lycan.

     The beast inside me longed to claim my mate, to love her and protect her. It's all I think about most days.

     The more logical, self aware side is still adamant that I keep a safe, honorable distance between us. To do anything necessary to ensure it.

     It's way better this way, I know it was. I'll be promoted, favored, respected.

     And Klepto will be safe. Safe from the rage inside me, safe from my heart that has no clue how to be soft and gentle.

     As I woke up this morning, brushing aside the wonderful haze of sleep, I was reminded of her. Her black hair, the intensity of her eyes. And yet I had to face her and claim indifference again and again.

     It gets harder every day.

     I stumbled out of bed and resumed a day of torture. Smelling her every now and then without seeing her is almost too much to even bear, and somehow I manage to keep going.

     My team and I spend the day training the pack members, and overseeing the pack borders. Despite running for hours the night before, I'm filled to the brim with excess energy.

     Klepto. Klepto. Klepto.

     I'm acting like a man starved without her, and I can't believe I've lasted as long as I have, or how I could possibly continue to. How can I ignore someone who's meant for me?

     "Wait up!" Someone calls behind me, and I have no mind to check and see who it is because I already know.

     As I keep plundering through the fallen autumn leaves, Ace races to be at my side. The usual sideways smirk plastered to his face.

     I give him a half hearted smile, inviting him to say whatever it is he's planning.

     "There's a bonfire tonight for the pack. Can you believe that? Popping smores in their mouths when Ryk could be hiding around the corner." He pauses, looking at me with his goofy expression, "Isn't it great?"