49 ❀ Breach

Klepto POV

Klepto POV

     "Klepto!" The call of my name through the long hallway draws my attention like a beacon. I rush forward on the solid concrete, my heels dangling from my fingertips as I run. They clack together along with the echoing of my bare feet hitting the ground.

     "Over here!" My eyes bounce around the people filling up the bunker. When I spot the small cluster that is my family, I abandon Stacey and go to them immediately.

     Daniel is in my arms and I let out a distressed sob, tears already leaking down my cheeks. I don't care about my makeup, my dress, I just need to know they are alright.

     All of them.

     Tressa watches me with her troubled blue eyes, warry as I near. Felix is clutched strictly in her arms. Tabitha sits still as stone. Her spine is stiff and she won't look at anyone.

     They all radiate the same thing I'm feeling.

     Anxiety.

     "We stick together." I say, sitting down on the hard floor and snuggling Daniel to my chest, kissing his messy, blonde locks.

     "Of course." Tressa says quietly. It's bizzare to see her this way. She's so soft spoken and almost gentle. It is such a stark contrast to what I'm used to with her. My whole life she's paraded around me calling me names, rolling her eyes, and acting the part of a sassy bitch.

     Now she is like a lost little lamb. I can't help feeling as if she's more genuine this way. Like her whole life she's been putting on a show for us all.

     Hearing of the abuse my mother put her through, I wouldn't be shocked if that's the reason behind it.

     "Did you not finish the ceremony?" Martha asks, and I blink. Is she talking to me?

     Well, she is looking straight at me, so I guess she is.

     "No. Just when we were about to mark each other, the alarm went off." I explain, squeezing Daniel when he stirs in my arms.

     We sit there in silence for quite some time. The bunker isn't exactly teeming with life, in fact everyone is silent as we all listen to the ringing of the pack sirens still blaring.

     My gaze shifts to Stacey. She sits with her back to the wall, knees drawn up to her chest as she stares into nothingness, lost in her own mind.

     "Are you alright?" I ask it very suddenly, and Tressa is obviously surprised by this. Her nostrils flare, thin eyebrows drawing near each other like a magnet.

     "Why do you ask?" She wonders and I shrug, running my hand up and down Daniel's back.

     "You seem.... different." I decide on after a moment. She stares at me openly, her gaze never wavering. I notice her hair is pulled back in a ponytail, which she never does, she's also wearing no makeup. It's a bizarre sight.