Chapter 5: Starting to expand

The rebels were shifting nervously under Phantom's narrowed gaze. It sent shivers down their spines as he obviously wasn't pleased.

"That was just pathetic," Danny shook his head. "I told you to shoot at the target. But the only thing you hit was air, and yet I am ready to bet you missed the atoms the air is made of!"

He indeed wasn't happy. They have been exercising ever since Phantom brought them here, and the results were yet to be shown. Some were getting better, but the most couldn't even hit the target itself, not to mention bull's eye.

"What I want you to understand," Danny went on, "Is that the soldiers won't go easy on any of you. For them you are ducks they were sent to hunt. Animals, who are good only to be a prey. Our primary target is to prove overwise. We must show the government, and most importantly, other slaves, that we must be taken seriously."

"What's the point?" One of them exclaimed, "I was a simple farmer, everything I can do is to work with the soil and grow plants!"

Danny looked him straight in the eyes with a contemplating expression on his face.

"Maybe so," he responded quietly, but everyone still heard it clearly. "But look at me, who do you think I was in my homeworld, hm?"

The young alien tried to find an answer, but Phantom raised his hand, signaling that he didn't need an answer in the first place.

"I never was meant to or ever planned on being what you see now. When I was a kid, I dreamed about being a space pioneer. Explore new worlds, see new places..." he chuckled, as if the entire idea seemed ridiculous to him. "But my grades told otherwise. Since I didn't have time to study, I barely managed to pass exams."

"You don't seem stupid," Haseas raised his eyebrow and Danny laughed.

"Thanks for the compliment, but knowledge and what I studied are different things. Sure, I can build blasters in comparison to which this ones are pieces of crap. Yet, I'm not very good at Math. And, again, I didn't have time to study. What was I doing, you may ask, well, that's complicated. My birth parents were...are," he spat, "scientists. Not everyone can punch a hole in another dimension. Especially if this is dimension where souls go after death."

Everyone fell silent.

'Ah, yeah, they are religious bunch,' Danny remembered.

"And all in all, they were too stupid to close the gateway. What for? They can study another world as much as they want, and 'Phantom' will deal with everything what comes out of there, And yes, it wasn't my birth name. It was simply a nickname I worked under. Actually, it was more like a survival, either I beat and send them where they belong, or they kill me. My point..."

He took the blaster, spun around and started to fire. Each of his shots hit the target dead on, and everyone's jaw hit the floor. Shooting from blaster and his hands felt different for Phantom, but years of practice spoke for themselves.

"...is that no one is born for something. You are what you want, and now you need to be soldiers. Try again."

-Later-

Danny was entertaining himself with the only thing he could do at the moment. Feeding his small pet with another bird. The nestling was growing quite fast. In a week and a half she already got her white fur and could walk on small legs, even if very slow and clumsy. Phantom was often helping the birdie to get up. It caused him to smile every time. The fact that the most ferocious carnivore was so helpless sounded unusually deep. She actually had taken liking in him. The nestling loved to nuzzle against his touch. 

Danny made a bite of his own diner. He ate the same food as his pet, namely one of the birds they shot and brought here. Once fried over campfire, it tasted like turkey.