Chapter 17: Final push

Thrawn's plan worked perfectly, and Danny made sure of that, probably going a bit too far. He had to make everything believable. The Vagaari attacked the orbital station of the Ascendancy. Not much of attack, actually, Phantom made them approach on a very close distance, before opening fire. The Chiss responded with everything they had, and the news reached the government quickly. Thrawn got a promotion, his house's influence increased after the Vagaari were 'revealed' to have hostile intentions. And the Eighth Ruling Family held its promise, as much as current political situation allowed. They had managed to arrange the first official meeting in millennia.

Phantom met with the Ruling Families and after a few hours of convincing, they came to agreement. Dominant xenophobia was a major obstacle on his way. Everyone was distrustful of the Emperor, but Danny managed to at least make them put their hopes in him. He had to recognize the Ascendancy control over large enough portion of space. Danny had to do that, in order to show his good intentions. He needed to control two major hyperspace lanes, and the Chiss weren't interested in trade routes with the Republic. They were leading towards the Known Galaxy from two sides.

Phantom also promised that the Empire would come to help the Ascendancy if something happens. They would just remain in their corner of the Galaxy. In exchange he asked for obvious thing. Military support in a war against the Ssi-ruu. It concerned many of them that that victory would increase the power of the Empire, and Phantom tried to reason with them.

"The Empire's conquest is not something to be concerned with," he said. "We are not after their technologies or resources. You will have the same amount of goods after your colonization proceeds. I have a map in my possession, which shows every habitable planet, and you will receive a copy. We want to establish trade routes with the Galactic Republic, but the Ssi-ruu prevent us from doing so."

He had to make too many concessions for his liking, thankfully they didn't go against the Empire's interests.

The Vagaari civillian fleet meanwhile was left to his complete mercy. They didn't have the means to protect themselves. The Emperor ordered them to surrender, and they had to agree. He settled them on fourty new habitable planets, increasing the size of the Empire two times. Phantom also chose different places, if the Vagaari were given planets close to each other, namely an entire sector, they would have rebelled, so he separated them on long enough distance. Also, only non-Vagaari governors were appointed in charge, supported by the army and Star Destroyers. Colonists of the other races were added in mix of populace. He decided to keep it that way until the Vagaari accept their fate as the full fledged citizens of the Empire. How horrific.

Danny ordered production of modernized versions of the Star Destroyers. They were given more powerful shields and received a few changes in design. For example, its bridge was now positioned very low and was almost invisible. Until the entire fleet will be ready to be replaced by superior ships of the Sith Empire, he would use Yuthanean ships.

In six months of his rule the country more or less got up from dust of the civil war, and was ready to fight against foreigners.

The war campaign started rather well, even if the Ascendancy gave him only Naval help. He didn't need more, this victory should have had a symbolical meaning, which meant he had to win major battles on the ground. The last thing the Ssi-ruu expected was a team up against them. Thrawn was appointed as commander of the Chiss Expeditionary Fleet. It was mainly him who secured the dominance in space. Together with Danny they had developed the plan of offense campaign. Despite having some skills, Phantom was more of a ground commander, plus he could help out down there. Danny was really impressed with the Chiss, the reptiles' defeat was devastating, and they lost only a few corvettes and one cruiser.