Chapter 14: Alea iacta est

The capital world of Yuthanean Empire, which was imaginatively called Yuthan Prime, was rather nice planet. Their race was born millennias ago in the thick jungles of their planet. Evolution is a tricky thing, yuths hadn't developed claws or fur, or something like that. Yes, they had a few extra organs on the inside, but on the outside their orange skin was the only thing which differed them from human race.

But the thick jungles were part of the past. About ninety percents of the planet's land territories were covered in growing city. It had a long way to becoming ecumenopolis, seas and oceans were still present, and the city wasn't yet growing below the surface. But, they were definitely going towards it. The city's population grew many times ever since their race discovered space travel. Sounds paradoxical, because, well, where the colonists were supposed to come from?

The answer is slavery. Medieval societies or even those who were in informational age, couldn't stand against even the race which just discovered hyperspace tech. And Yuthanean rulers knew that. Their natural arrogance just added more cruelty to their greed for power. So, many slaves were captured and delivered straight to the richest people of their nation. It always reminded Danny about Roman Empire, and if it was just like the empire of the past, then it inevitably will painfully die the same way.

"Where do I find eastern barbarians, though?" Danny murmured, rubbing his chin.

Yes, Unknown Regions had a lot of dangers inside of them, but nope, no Hunns, Francs or Sarmats.

"Question: Why do we need to make useless meatbags even more useless by giving them pieces of metal instead of blasters?" HK's voice was heard from an earpiece communicator.

"Damn, I thought I turned that stupid thing off."

"Explanation: Radio silence is unnecessary, Master. No moron will ever think that you are conversing right from their capital."

"I guess you are right. How the other groups are doing?"

"Report: The first group tasked with infiltrating planet shielding generators remains unnoticed. Other groups are yet to finish their jobs."

"I wouldn't have been so harsh on them. We aren't in any hurry. Inform me when they are done. Signing off."

Danny turned off the communicator and looked at the city below from the skyscraper he was on. The fight over Valorrum was three months ago. During that time a single revolt turned out in a full blown civil war. Apparently, such an impressive victory served as the final spark which blew up the state's foundation. Yuthanean Empire possessed thirty two inhabited systems in total. Extremely tiny compared to the Galactic Republic, which had control over thousands of systems. However, its sworn enemy - the Chiss Accendancy, had twenty eight inhabited planets.

Phantom was the official leader of the Rebellion, and his face was on every illegal agitation poster. His personal favorite was when he awesomely stood in profile with a lightsaber in his hand, with a word 'Resist' under the image. Again, some part of him still possessed that childish excitement.

Of course there were poseters which had another word under his picture. The posters where his face had word 'Wanted' under it. The Imperials wanted him dead, and it was the reason of Danny's inner laughs. They pictured him as caricaturic demon, who wanted to eat their babies. Ooh, how scary. But it also had a positive effect, nevermind how paradoxal that sounds. The citizens of the empire feared him, so they were surprised during the times they actually saw him.

-Flashback-

The victory was theirs, that much was undoubted. The governor is killed, the remaining army was either fleeing or surrendering. And the smoking cityscape was rather symbolic. Phantom gazed out of the window, putting hands behind his back. Yes, they won, but with far more losses than he wanted. All because of crappy surveillance. They reported only about the squads out on the streets, not the ones in barracks and hangers.