Chapter 52: The Ones

"Oof, Dani, too tight!" Ahsoka gasped through the tightest hug she had ever received.

"No, not gonna let go," Dani said, burying her head in her older sister's chest. "I missed you so much, sis!"

"I missed you too, but please, I need to breath!"

Finally the smaller girl released the Togruta teen. Both of them grinned, before Ahsoka suddenly used the Force and launched her foster sister to the bed. Dani squealed in delight and laughed. The teen flopped on a bed near her.

"How are you doing, kiddo?" Ahsoka asked.

"Well, Daddy really spends a lot of time with me," Dani sat on her knees. "We had so much fun!" She said happily.

"Oh, really?" The teen asked, a bit gloomy. But the younger girl was more observant than you give her credit for.

"Hey, what's wrong, sis?"

"It's just...well...I was bored at that temple. It felt as if I'm locked up except for the times I go to the battlefield."

"But you are doing your job, right? Daddy said you are doing it really good!" Dani asked with all her naivety in the voice.

Ahsoka chuckled. "I'm glad you two appreciate it. Still..."

"Still..." They heard a voice.

The girls looked to the entrance, and saw Danny leaning against the doorway. He never actually bothered to knock. Smiling broadly, the Emperor opened his arms, waiting for a hug. He received it quite quickly, chuckling afterwards.

"Where is Master Obi-Wan?" Ahsoka asked.

"I let him sleep in a guest room. I think you should have rest as well."

The teen seemed saddened by this. "I...I actually hoped to spend more time together," she said with a crestfallen expression.

"I understand, kiddo. And we will, but..."

"But what?" Ahsoka interrupted, it sounded more like a snap, before realizing what she had just done. She waited for something to happen, because she didn't know the outcome of such precedent.

Danny sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "Dani, can you leave us for a second?"

The girl seemed confused. "Why, Daddy?"

"Just do it, please. Fetch some snack as well, hm?"

"Oh, okay."

The girl got up and went out of the room. Danny sat near his adopted daughter, trying to find proper words.

"What's bothering you, kiddo?" He asked. "I can clearly see that it isn't just boredom which made you angry."

"Father. Do you realize how hard it was after Mom died?"

Whatever Danny expected, he was caught by surprise. Thankfully Ahsoka continued.

"I felt so much pain, and you were nowhere near. I was so alone. You could at least call, but you didn't!"

"Ahsoka..."

"I was free almost all the time. You couldn't not know that. No one was watching me. I waited, but you never called."

"Ahsoka. I couldn't do so for other reasons. For a multitude of them. If I went into the temple, I would have been noticed. And such things...they are not discussed over communicator. I hope you understand."

The girl looked away. Danny put a hand on her shoulder.

"I promise, my girl. Once all of this is over and your espionage won't be required, we will enjoy the time together. After all, I myself sacrifice this time to rule the Empire. And it doesn't make me eager whatsoever."