Chapter 59: The Bombing

"I understand your concern, colleagues, but I assure you, you have nothing to worry about."

The Council of Neutral Systems was summoned quickly after the coming of the new Mandalore. They were concerned about the upcoming changes. Some planets left, fearing the obvious warmongering of the new leader. That's why Phantom called the meeting. This fact alone put hopes in the rulers' of generally peaceful folk. Their position had some benefits, after all, just like negative sides.

They were sitting in the throne room of the Keldabe Palace. It was the former capital of Mandalore, and the government moved there. Along the well lit hall stood several long tables and chairs. The floor was black, white columns held the tall ceiling. Danny was surprised at how well it suited his tastes. Some planets' representatives were in holographic form. Phantom himself was sitting on the throne, guarded by Bo-Katan, who was wearing her helmet.

Phantom sensed their confusion and rose from his seat of power, the crimson cape of his armor flowing behind.

"I seek to establish the rule of might on this planet. But these changes do not and are not supposed to affect you. I am not a fool. I take Mandalore as a weakling, a whelp which needs to be fed to become as strong as it used to be. Going against superpowers will be a suicide. Republic makes us die from starvation. The Confederacy looks for casus belli to come here. We are surrounded by those who seek to ruin our neutrality."

"You contradict your own ideas," someone said.

"Do I? In the end only one side shall win. The one which is more untouched. We shall emerge more powerful than they are. I'm not going to entangle you in this if you do not want. Further economic cooperation is what I seek at this meeting. War is war, but money always come first, we all know that. And with both sides abandoning us, we have little other option."

"And the Banking Clan?"

"They are too busy with leadership changes. Turns out all this time, all three standard years of war, they had no aurodium to back all the credits they were giving. They are pieces of plastic, nothing more."

Danny couldn't believe how lucky he was with that ordeal. He himself couldn't think up anything better. Another point to the superiority of the Empire. He had done the same thing during the first days, they needed money, and it had some nasty implications. But now the situation was better and the Imperial economy was growing. Banking Clan's eagerness to support the Civil War now had an explanation.

"I heard that Baron Clovis is a talented man," the auburn bearded representative said. "He may just fix things."

"By raising interest for the Republic," Phantom snorted under his helmet. "Here goes their 'neutrality'. I'll get the information. For now on, let's talk about less interesting things. I could care less about economy, but Mandalore is starving, and deny its importance would be stupid."

The meeting went smoothly. The representatives understood that they had nothing to fear from the new ruler of the planet. Danny could be charming, even if it wasn't his kind of charm. He usually tried to be seen kind, generous and welcoming. Mandalore was seen as the strong, yet temperate man who didn't rush things. After all, he already demonstrated his might, not only during the fight with Maul.

The criminal gangs didn't expect the betrayal from the Death Watch. Danny was swift, attacking them before they learned about the Sith's defeat. People were shocked at the sight of the Mandalore's return. The mask gave just the effect Phantom seeked. The shock was evident, and during the short greeting speech Phantom could sense everything. Almost no one questioned his legitimacy. Maybe because they feared the person who radiated power. In the fight he went wielding the black lightsaber. What a unique thing.